2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Long Term Review (8 Yrs)
By jfleenor on 03/22/13 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the Ranger for 8 years, and it has NEVER been in the shop. 1 set of brakes and 1 set of tires. Regular maintenance. Driven from CA to TN 4 times. CA to AZ countless times, towing 2 waverunners. Last week, the heater controll valve broke, but that's the only problem ever. Interior/exterior still looks new, except for someone backing into it 2 weeks ago. New complete rear bumper/Taillights ($260). In body shop next week (minor damage). Still gets 26 mpg on the hwy. Not a luxury car, but it's one of the best vehicles I've owned. Thought about selling it, but love it too much. Going to add custom upgrades and drive it for another 8 yrs. See the rest of post for more info.

Install a fiberglass shell/ topper
By Kelly on 03/27/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle. Saw the handwriting on the wall that gasoline was going through the roof. Mileage is 24/29 exactly as spec. Clutch pedal stiff and squeaks, no resolution, aftermarket dealer installed A/C problems resolved. window cranks squeak big time, no resolution, Rear leaf spring out of alignment, resolved. The 4 banger lacks a little here in NM, with hills and all but it's fine. Installed an Astro bed topper and the handling was much improved, and it looks great and matched the white almost perfectly. After the various bugs, a good set of Continental SUV tires, the thing is doing exactly as expected. You get what you pay for!

Update after 3 years. Even better.
By JDP on 05/02/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an update after owing the Ranger for 3 years. I am even more impressed with this little truck than earlier. Mileage is still great for a truck (4cyl,5spd) I still have the original tires. No squeaks or rattles, and it is a truck. Moved from Austin to DFW with a full load and a trailer load behind. Probably 2000lbs total. I thought it would be a slow 4th gear go. Not a bit of it. Got out on I35, shifted up to 5th gear and away we went. I love this truck. I have met several owners that have owned more than one and now I know why.

Inexpensive not Cheap
By JDP on 05/24/06 21:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck to serve as a "chore" vehicle so I could quit carrying things back from Home Depot in the car. I bought it from one of the Ford special sales for $10,950. 4 cylinder/5 speed stick A/C and radio. Very much a base XL. As it turned out I use it everyday and it is my primary work truck/transportation. I drive from Dallas to Austin every Monday and after working my contract for the week, I drive back Friday night. I have grown to like this truck very much. I get between 26 and 30 mpg week in and week out doing 70 to 80 mph hwy. It does all I ask and when I spill a coke or knock over the fries I just hose it out when I get home. And I still haul stuff for my wife from Home Depot weekends.

Great truck, great value.
By Grimtrek on 01/25/06 19:08 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you need a full-size pick-up to haul big loads, then the Ford Ranger isn't for you. But if you want a fun, fuel efficient little pickup with moderate hauling ability then look no further. My Ranger gets about 24-26 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. Being in a warm climate, I run the AC quite a bit and of course that reduces mpg. I have automatic transmission on mine and I enjoy driving this truck a lot. I would recommend this truck to a friend if they were looking for a truck that's inexpensive, looks good and is fuel efficient. This is my first Ford vehicle, but I suspect it's not going to be my last, or my last Ranger either.

Buy Something else
By ekarlw on 01/19/06 00:34 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

"Minimal at best". Most irritating is that for 2005/6 Ford removed the rear wheel well splash shields to save a buck and now on wet roads the wheels throw water, road oil, spilled chemicals etc. up through the seam under the lip of the bed rail and into the bed - with a shell on the back everything inside still gets wet. Once again Ford has found it acceptable to lower the overall quality to save about three dollars in plastic. I have to wonder what other corners were cut. I remember when car makers would make improvements every year. Shifting linkage is clunky and the 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than most. Also the bed does not 'fit' the width of the 2 door cab and looks awkward.

Ford Tough At A Reasonable Price.
By Steve on 06/18/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2005 Ranger XL 2WD Reg Cab with the 2.3L EFI 4 cylinder engine is a fun and reasonably priced package. While I'd like a little better acceleration, I find what it delivers adequate. I have the 5-speed automatic O/D transmission and it's very smooth. The A/C works very well (important in Florida) and cools the cab quickly even on hot days. The dash and instrument panels are laid out well and all the controls are easy to reach.