2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: One sweet little truck.

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.0 ft. Bed)

One sweet little truck.
By Gene on

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I selected my 4 cylinder stickshift Ranger to serve as a daily driver, as a vehicle to drive on my 100 mile daily, 5 days per week school commute, and to be able to hold its own at Home Depot, Lowe's and Menard's. The handling, ride, and highway gas mileage is almost unbelievable! I've often seen 30+ MPG, and one week it actually delivered 35 MPG. The seats are surprisingly supportive and quite comfy for a small truck. I cross-shopped Chevy, GMC, and Toyota, but the Ranger beat them all for interior comfort, durability, fuel efficiency, reliability, appearance, and especially, price.

The Flareside bed looks sporty, the manual transmission and the Duratec 4 cylinder deliver phenomenal performance and gas mileage, and the standard cloth 60/40 bench seat is surprisingly comfortable. With my added hard tonneau cover on the bed, it looks like a sporty little coupé.

A little more room, maybe 3 or 4 inches, behind the seats in the standard cab would be nice; I'd like to be able to recline the seat a bit more and store a toolbox, but I still want to be able to reach back over my shoulder and open or close the sliding back window, so the SuperCab won't suffice.