Great Truck!
By trclark23 on
2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
To start this review, I'm not sure why Edmunds doesn't have an option for the single cab XLT 2.3L Automatic, because that's what I drive. Anyways, I bought this truck brand new in 2004 from Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN. Aside from a transmission recall before I hit 1,000 miles and an Oxygen sensor going back, this truck hasn't given me ANY issues since I've bought it whatsoever in the past 8 years. The truck doesn't drive smooth like a Cadillac but it's a truck and it's not meant to. The 2.3L Duratec engine (found in Rangers from 02-11) are literally bulletproof and will last 200-300-400,000 miles easy with regular maintenance. Ford screwed up discontinuing this truck.
Favorite Features
Easy to work on, Parts are easy to find as there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road. Gas mileage is great for a truck and the Ranger can handle just about anything you throw at it. (Just don't try to tow a house or something with it.)
Suggested Improvements
I wish Ford would have made an American crew cab for the Ranger, updated the look, and put a v8 in it.