Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Crash Test Dummy
By kevo71

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really liked my truck. It drove well and got fairly decent mileage (20MPG). If you noticed I have been referring to my truck in the past tense. I totaled it last week. The front wheel was knocked off, the cab was warped (driver's door would not shut) and the frame was bent in two places. The car that hit me was a Dodge Intrepid that hit me while sideways in the front left corner of the bumper and continued through the wheel. The truck held together well and I and the other driver walked away without any serious injuries. I had it for a year and a half and received from the insurance company about $1000 less than what I paid for it. I'm buying another just like it. I also have an '88 w/250k miles.

Favorite Features

Good solid truck all around. Rides a bit rough, like a truck. It's probably not a yuppie wagon, but the suspension is good, the four wheel drive worked well, the engine (4.0L) had plenty of power, good ground clearance, the seats were nice and it was comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would enlarge it to an actual 4-door cab with a forward facing bench seat. Change the radio volume knob back to the push button type, it is a little hard to use. Cup holders hard to get to with a stick shift.

Awesome
By Ford4v460

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Loved this vehicle since the day I bought it, had no problems with it. I live in an area where a 4x4 is a must and it doesn't miss a beat in mud or snow. The 4.0L is not as powerful as some of its competition but it fits the truck's size. A better pick than a full size pickup if you don't have a family.

Favorite Features

4.0L, interior style and comfort, looks.

Suggested Improvements

A few extra horsepower can't hurt, along with better fuel economy.

This is alot of truck for little price
By Steve M

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck for work and have used it for work. I have hauled cars from 3000 pounds up to 6000 pounds. I have had 1800 pounds in the box and begs for more. This trucks gives 100% when it works. It loves to work. I paid $13,500 for it and I love it. I just have the 3.0 with the 5 speed auto torqueshift. I have 3.73 gears. The gas mileage hurts but what do you expect. If you want gas mileage buy a dang Honda. If you want a great truck for work buy a Ford Ranger.

Favorite Features

The amount this thing could haul.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, a V8?

Another Great Ranger
By Jon

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Deluxe Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger, and I have loved both of them. I upgraded to the Edge and love all of the additional bells and whistles (especially the sound system). My only complaint would be the gas mileage. I do more than the average driving, so I spend more time than the average at the pump.

Favorite Features

The outstanding sound system, 16 inch wheels and the small lift that the Edge is equipped with make it a hot truck!

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE, and thats really it!

Danger Ranger
By Danger Ranger

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is great. It out-performs my every expectation. It feels like it can conquer all, but is still comfortable and practical for everyday use. It's been strong and reliable for over a year now. It's a great value and never lets me down.

Favorite Features

The sweet sounds from the am/fm/cd/mp3 player. High, strong "edge" stance. worlds best a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Give it some more power!