2004 Ford Ranger XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
i love my truck
By koprowskif on 12/22/04 02:39 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Ranger in August of Last year and it has been a superb truck, I only have had one problem with it but it was also -30 degrees, and it started hard and didnt idle, which the dealer said was unfortunate but normal and the replaced some parts and has never happened again. I have 2 snowmobiles, and i use this truck to pull them and it does very well. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets in it and never realized i was speeding. I couldnt ask for more, it was a great year end special, and i got the 0% interest. i love my truck. by the way, i now have 45,000 miles on it. the only thing i've had to do to it was oil changes, and a new set of tires.

Just fun to drive
By myranger77 on 12/11/04 11:35 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 04 FX4 package is awesome it has no problems with offroad driving and in Vermont you can really test it out and rides smooth on the highway too.

Awesome Truck
By mslrep on 12/01/04 23:51 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Honestly, I was out looking at a Tacoma but just couldn't get over that front end and I found the Toyota dealers were just too proud of their trucks. Went by the Ford dealer on the way home and set my eyes on a loaded Ranger Edge. I got more serious when I found out my brother-in-law had a 2000 Ranger with 87,000 miles and the only problem he's encountered has been a sensor replacement, $34.00. I was really sold when the dealer came $4000 off the list. Drove it back to St. Louis that same week end and by the end of the trip, I noticed the truck really coming alive with personality, looks, handling. Matched with the auto and 4.10 ratio gears you c

This Truck is great
By wrongway on 12/01/04 03:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

while I was shopping for a truck I came to the conclusion that this is one of if not the last true compact truck left, that comes with a compact price. Most other makers are moving there compacts to a more midsize level, and the price is moving north as well. I drive it like a truck and it performs well, offroad or onroad this is a good truck and I got a great deal. With all the rebates I came in well under invoice and I am more than happy with my purchase.

2004 Ranger is a great value
By DucRider on 11/09/04 14:06 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Value 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drive a mix of heavy freeway and city streets, about 70 miles/day, and have averaged a very consistent 19.5 MPG in this truck..I'm pleasantly surprised given the great acceleration with this truck. It has a 5 speed, and 4.10 rear end with traction lock. Overall, I'm very happy. Even the paint job was flawless from the factory. I've noticed that for 2005 they got rid of the Value package. That's too bad, it was a great deal in '04. You should know that the engine has a limiter at about 95 miles/hour. In areas where the speed limit is 75, and many drivers are going 80 to 85, that limit was scary the first time I reached it.

Second Ranger Owned
By jiffyw on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Ranger 4x4 that I have owned. I like the looks and the way it performs.

disappointed
By 52 MORE PAYMENTS on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Should of bought a Tacoma. This truck is one of the most popular mini trucks on the road, and other then price I don't understand why. I've had this truck for five months, and it's been in the shop for twenty five days, at diferent times. The list is long, The computer modual that controls the wipers, the wiper motor, passenger power window, passenger door latch, fender flair, rear end rumble, and an alignment in first week. What happened to fords claim that quality is job one.

Good, Solid Truck
By Miamiboy04 on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Ranger in 6 years. From day two the truck had an electrical short in the wiper motor that made it impossible to turn the wipers off once activated. The dealership replaced the wiper motor w/in a few hours and now everything works perfectly. The 2.3L engine is more than powerful enough w/the manual transmission for daily driving. If you plan on using the truck to tow, I suggest the 3.0L or 4.0L.

love my truck
By cobb on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is awsome. looks great,drives great. and i got it for $12000 after the rebate from ford. the ground clearence is great also.

Best Truck ever
By ken black on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I owned a 1986 Ranger and drove it for over 14 years. The '04 Ranger is much better and more fun to drive. Ford has done it right. The high back seats are very comfortable, visability is great, the sound system is excelent, the ease of access to the cab is effortless with the 4 doors, and the ride is much imporved over prior Rangers. I especially like the redesigned looks of the truck.