Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

The Lil' Ranger that can
By 68CudaGuy

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since this is the 5th Ranger I've owned I'd have to say I really like them. Had a 85, 88, 91, and 97 before this 04. Still have the 91 with 280,000 miles so far. I've got the 3.0l and 5 speed manual and even going back and forth to Birmingham AL last week for classes I got 26+ mpg at some crazy 75-80mph speeds. She's no speed demon but as far as trucks go but I feel confident enough to drive her on any interstate. I do plan on doing a few things to improve horsepower and mileage as I can afford them. My wish list includes a cat back exhaust system, Edge Performance piggyback chip, K&N Fuel injection setup, 180 degree thermostat, and I'm considering replacing the fan with an electric unit.

Favorite Features

Clean good looks are a marked improvement over the previous body style. Looks more like a mini F150 instead of a pregnant guppy. Seats are stiff but comfortable. Nice radio with CD player, just wish I could have found one with an upgraded sound system. Try putting a real spare in these trucks Ford!

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER MIRRORS! A little more horse power at a usable RPM would be nice. Pop out rear windows for cross ventilation. Bumpers on the XL and the XLT are flimsy and ugly. They ruin the truck, come up with something better Ford. Too much cheesy plastic. Try aluminum in interior - would look better.

Avoid
By trbgensmoke

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

Favorite Features

The fact that it is so unreliable that hopefully it will blow up.

Suggested Improvements

Hey Ford, try making something that is reliable, and worth the money! Or at least making an attempt to fix your quality control issues.

WORKS FOR ME!
By Harleys&Horses

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck can do it all. Always dependable, always ready - great for getting around and great for getting the job done.

Favorite Features

Size.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors should be larger.

tops
By maytagman

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a fine truck, works and plays hard then drive it to dinner. Mine has 75,000 miles - nothing but normal maintenance, i.e. oil, brakes, tires.

Favorite Features

Skid plates, stiff but nice ride, style, auto 4x4. Strong towing truck. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seating needs 3 more inches.

good crosscountry
By adamcolorado

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in Tampa Florida and drove it to Atlanta every weekend for six months, I now live in Denver, co. and have driven back to Atlanta twice. No problems yet and it towed a eight foot U-Haul loaded down along with the truck bed loaded down at 75 mph across the country no problem. It is a little sluggish at altitude from 7000ft and higher. Does really well in deep snow for a two wheel drive truck, and the heater is great!

Favorite Features

Stance, looks, and reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Lighter suspension in the rear.