Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

tough little truck
By tyrone buckets

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will never die cold or hot it starts. comfortable seats for long drives. Needs more room in the back for storage and seats. I have over 180,000 miles only needed to maintain truck. Nothing has gone wrong. I will get up to 355 miles on one tank.No speeding must dive a minimium 5-10 over speed limit Great MPGs.

shift on fly 4x4, great mpgs, and reliable.

needs more room in back at least 3-5 inches.Stronger arm rest.

Under Rated
By Tiny

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

I love the feedback I get from the steering in my 04', and the 5spd manual is geared very well. I love the Rangers simplicity. It has a lot of performance potential, but there is so few aftermarket parts for it. However, with a little effort and mechanical know how, you can make anything work.

The Ranger is a great canvas for sport truck, muscle truck, and off roaders alike. Take a look at the right starting canvas and let your mind wander a bit. With a little imagination you can see where the Rangers potential lies. I can't suggest anything for this truck, it works, give it a chance.

No better Compact Truck...period
By C Smith

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

3rd Ranger I've owned (88,99,04). Truck is more reliable than any other truck I have owned. I work for a city gov. agency, I drive all makes and models. There is no better compact truck out there. Pull a 5x8 trailer w/ 2 sport quads. I would tell anyone to but this truck.

Reliable 4x4 shift on the fly. Looks, size & weight.

Crew cab, sunroof, some bigger mirrors, maybe a small diesel option.

Number 6 for me
By Thomas

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had and 83, which I put a 302 in after 180K miles, my 88,91,93,95 Splash and now a 2004 XLT 4x4, all gave me very little problems,the 2.9 L 88's TFI module went out on a rainy night but I always had a sparemodule, with the tool, in the glovebox. My 2004 ,with the 4.0 L V6, is the best yet as far as fit and function and reliability since I live in the snow belt it has to be good. I think I will upgrade to the 2008 FX4 this summer. Mine has 55K on it and still looks new.

21.5 miles to gallon HWY with the K&N air system and Flow Master exhaust. Handling is great with Yokohama tires and Bilstein monotube shocks.

Smoother shifting 5 speed manual Trans and needs jump seats in the back for small passengers and at least one suicide door to open on the XLT Supercab.

One sweet little truck.
By Gene

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I selected my 4 cylinder stickshift Ranger to serve as a daily driver, as a vehicle to drive on my 100 mile daily, 5 days per week school commute, and to be able to hold its own at Home Depot, Lowe's and Menard's. The handling, ride, and highway gas mileage is almost unbelievable! I've often seen 30+ MPG, and one week it actually delivered 35 MPG. The seats are surprisingly supportive and quite comfy for a small truck. I cross-shopped Chevy, GMC, and Toyota, but the Ranger beat them all for interior comfort, durability, fuel efficiency, reliability, appearance, and especially, price.

The Flareside bed looks sporty, the manual transmission and the Duratec 4 cylinder deliver phenomenal performance and gas mileage, and the standard cloth 60/40 bench seat is surprisingly comfortable. With my added hard tonneau cover on the bed, it looks like a sporty little coupé.

A little more room, maybe 3 or 4 inches, behind the seats in the standard cab would be nice; I'd like to be able to recline the seat a bit more and store a toolbox, but I still want to be able to reach back over my shoulder and open or close the sliding back window, so the SuperCab won't suffice.