2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
The Lil' Ranger that can
By 68CudaGuy on 10/02/06 06:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since this is the 5th Ranger I've owned I'd have to say I really like them. Had a 85, 88, 91, and 97 before this 04. Still have the 91 with 280,000 miles so far. I've got the 3.0l and 5 speed manual and even going back and forth to Birmingham AL last week for classes I got 26+ mpg at some crazy 75-80mph speeds. She's no speed demon but as far as trucks go but I feel confident enough to drive her on any interstate. I do plan on doing a few things to improve horsepower and mileage as I can afford them. My wish list includes a cat back exhaust system, Edge Performance piggyback chip, K&N Fuel injection setup, 180 degree thermostat, and I'm considering replacing the fan with an electric unit.

Avoid
By trbgensmoke on 09/06/06 02:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

WORKS FOR ME!
By Harleys&Horses on 07/07/06 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck can do it all. Always dependable, always ready - great for getting around and great for getting the job done.

tops
By maytagman on 05/10/06 16:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a fine truck, works and plays hard then drive it to dinner. Mine has 75,000 miles - nothing but normal maintenance, i.e. oil, brakes, tires.

good crosscountry
By adamcolorado on 03/10/06 17:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in Tampa Florida and drove it to Atlanta every weekend for six months, I now live in Denver, co. and have driven back to Atlanta twice. No problems yet and it towed a eight foot U-Haul loaded down along with the truck bed loaded down at 75 mph across the country no problem. It is a little sluggish at altitude from 7000ft and higher. Does really well in deep snow for a two wheel drive truck, and the heater is great!

Crash Test Dummy
By kevo71 on 02/12/06 23:03 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really liked my truck. It drove well and got fairly decent mileage (20MPG). If you noticed I have been referring to my truck in the past tense. I totaled it last week. The front wheel was knocked off, the cab was warped (driver's door would not shut) and the frame was bent in two places. The car that hit me was a Dodge Intrepid that hit me while sideways in the front left corner of the bumper and continued through the wheel. The truck held together well and I and the other driver walked away without any serious injuries. I had it for a year and a half and received from the insurance company about $1000 less than what I paid for it. I'm buying another just like it. I also have an '88 w/250k miles.

Awesome
By Ford4v460 on 02/06/06 11:50 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Loved this vehicle since the day I bought it, had no problems with it. I live in an area where a 4x4 is a must and it doesn't miss a beat in mud or snow. The 4.0L is not as powerful as some of its competition but it fits the truck's size. A better pick than a full size pickup if you don't have a family.

This is alot of truck for little price
By Steve M on 01/24/06 15:29 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck for work and have used it for work. I have hauled cars from 3000 pounds up to 6000 pounds. I have had 1800 pounds in the box and begs for more. This trucks gives 100% when it works. It loves to work. I paid $13,500 for it and I love it. I just have the 3.0 with the 5 speed auto torqueshift. I have 3.73 gears. The gas mileage hurts but what do you expect. If you want gas mileage buy a dang Honda. If you want a great truck for work buy a Ford Ranger.

Another Great Ranger
By Jon on 07/25/05 20:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Deluxe Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger, and I have loved both of them. I upgraded to the Edge and love all of the additional bells and whistles (especially the sound system). My only complaint would be the gas mileage. I do more than the average driving, so I spend more time than the average at the pump.

Danger Ranger
By Danger Ranger on 07/10/05 21:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is great. It out-performs my every expectation. It feels like it can conquer all, but is still comfortable and practical for everyday use. It's been strong and reliable for over a year now. It's a great value and never lets me down.