2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: 2004 Ranger is a great value

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.0 ft. Bed)

2004 Ranger is a great value
By DucRider on

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a mix of heavy freeway and city streets, about 70 miles/day, and have averaged a very consistent 19.5 MPG in this truck..I'm pleasantly surprised given the great acceleration with this truck. It has a 5 speed, and 4.10 rear end with traction lock. Overall, I'm very happy. Even the paint job was flawless from the factory. I've noticed that for 2005 they got rid of the Value package. That's too bad, it was a great deal in '04. You should know that the engine has a limiter at about 95 miles/hour. In areas where the speed limit is 75, and many drivers are going 80 to 85, that limit was scary the first time I reached it.

The 4.0 sounds good, accelerates great. The fit and finish is excellent.

Wish I had gotten the 4 door supercab rather than the two door. Putting large objects in the back is rough or impossible. The sound system is not great...muddy bass. Also, the doors do sound tinny (I read this in another reviewers note...guess I'm not the only one.)