Used 2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Truck so far
By bigmc83

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edge 4wd Supercab with 4L/ 5 spd manual. Great truck overall, has not let me down until recently. Freeway driving is good, has hauled plenty of stuff. Kegs, plywood, mulch...it does it all with no complaints. Towed my boat this past summer which was borderline overweight, but it did it with no problems. Unfortunately now the clutch slave/master cylinder is going. It did this last year and had it "fixed" by dealership but now it is doing it again. $1000+ cost so far for new slave/master/clutch. Never had a problem when I drove to/from school and has been a great daily driver. First major problem. Done some offroading and snow driving and it tackles it with ease. Overall good truck!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive is easy to use and pretty reliable. 4 dr extended cab is nice for storing stuff behind front seats. Good AC and heat and seats are fairly comfy and very durable fabric for dirty jobs. Rubber floor is much easier to clean/maintain vs. cloth floor. 4L V6 is a decent tower.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine package. If you plan to tow anything, get the automatic. A better manual transmission and clutch setup would be appreciated. Tape deck acts up when I use tape adapter with my satellite radio. Keeps reversing direction and ejects until it warms up

Repeat buyer
By ArkieDave

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Learned my lesson with my first Ranger and got the super cab and 4L SOHC engine. Bucket seats are a big plus for comfort. This truck is fun to drive, unfaltering reliability, and reasonably economical for a vehicle with over 200 HP.

Favorite Features

4L SOHC 210 HP motor. Bucket Seats. A/C frosts the windows. No repairs in 6 years.

Suggested Improvements

Mine came with a 355 rear end gear which is great on the highway but a bit too high for heavier trailer towing and 5 speed. May not be a factor with auto transmission but 65-70 MPH falls between 4th and 5th gear in the manual and I don't like speeding with a heavy load and trailer. Get 373 gear for towing

tough little truck
By tyrone buckets

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will never die cold or hot it starts. comfortable seats for long drives. Needs more room in the back for storage and seats. I have over 180,000 miles only needed to maintain truck. Nothing has gone wrong. I will get up to 355 miles on one tank.No speeding must dive a minimium 5-10 over speed limit Great MPGs.

Favorite Features

shift on fly 4x4, great mpgs, and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

needs more room in back at least 3-5 inches.Stronger arm rest.

Great Reliability
By Brian L.

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over a year now and have only had to replace the front brakes. This has been a very reliable truck and I would definitely recommend it if your wallet can afford the 15 city and 18 hwy mpg on the 4.0 model. It's not a speedy truck but more of a torque monster. This is a bit of a disappointment unless you're towing something. I barely notice whenever there is any weight on the truck. Overall a quality and reliability make this this ideal small truck.

Favorite Features

4x4 on the go. Been through 1 bad snow storm and felt very safe. No slipping at all.

Suggested Improvements

The Ranger would benefit from rear disc brakes and redesigned ABS. The braking response is slow and the stopping power is ok at best. Come on we're still using rear drums?

Perfect Present
By Nick Wray

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After Highschool graduation it was time to upgrade over my 86 Silverado. I knew for a while I wanted a Ranger, Im impressed with way my truck handles and drives. The 3.0 is a good mixture of performance and fuel effiency. Its a solid little truck, that looks as good as it drives. The extended cab is perfect for transporting all my gear to and from school. It can hold all my fishing and camping supplies inside, out of the elemets. The Edge package gives it an awesome stance. I opted for the 2 wheel drive, over the 4 simply for the fact that I dont plan on doing any serious off-roading in it.I upgraded the head unit and rear speakers, simply because Im going through my loud music phase.

Favorite Features

The bold styling all around with the Edge package adds to appeal. The interior is superb, and comfortable. The jump seats neatly fold away for plenty of space behind the front seats.

Suggested Improvements

It's a solid truck all the way around. If your looking for a weekend warrior the 4wd will be better. The milage is pretty good for a small truck, but all the talk these days is milage. Gets 2 thumbs up from me.