Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Truck so far
By bigmc83

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edge 4wd Supercab with 4L/ 5 spd manual. Great truck overall, has not let me down until recently. Freeway driving is good, has hauled plenty of stuff. Kegs, plywood, mulch...it does it all with no complaints. Towed my boat this past summer which was borderline overweight, but it did it with no problems. Unfortunately now the clutch slave/master cylinder is going. It did this last year and had it "fixed" by dealership but now it is doing it again. $1000+ cost so far for new slave/master/clutch. Never had a problem when I drove to/from school and has been a great daily driver. First major problem. Done some offroading and snow driving and it tackles it with ease. Overall good truck!

4 wheel drive is easy to use and pretty reliable. 4 dr extended cab is nice for storing stuff behind front seats. Good AC and heat and seats are fairly comfy and very durable fabric for dirty jobs. Rubber floor is much easier to clean/maintain vs. cloth floor. 4L V6 is a decent tower.

Bigger engine package. If you plan to tow anything, get the automatic. A better manual transmission and clutch setup would be appreciated. Tape deck acts up when I use tape adapter with my satellite radio. Keeps reversing direction and ejects until it warms up

Perfect Present
By Nick Wray

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After Highschool graduation it was time to upgrade over my 86 Silverado. I knew for a while I wanted a Ranger, Im impressed with way my truck handles and drives. The 3.0 is a good mixture of performance and fuel effiency. Its a solid little truck, that looks as good as it drives. The extended cab is perfect for transporting all my gear to and from school. It can hold all my fishing and camping supplies inside, out of the elemets. The Edge package gives it an awesome stance. I opted for the 2 wheel drive, over the 4 simply for the fact that I dont plan on doing any serious off-roading in it.I upgraded the head unit and rear speakers, simply because Im going through my loud music phase.

The bold styling all around with the Edge package adds to appeal. The interior is superb, and comfortable. The jump seats neatly fold away for plenty of space behind the front seats.

It's a solid truck all the way around. If your looking for a weekend warrior the 4wd will be better. The milage is pretty good for a small truck, but all the talk these days is milage. Gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Awesome Ranger
By Dave

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck ever, always what I wanted and always a good experience

Manual

Aux Audio Input

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Stereo System, Handling (for a pickup), and interior

Rear Window, leaning back too far in seat will pop it out.

Excellent Value
By wyxlzorf

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use my Ranger for a daily driver, doing run and bump North Dallas commuting during the week. The weekend finds it pulling a 30 foot long, but light trailer hauling a glider. Great utility vehicle, but could use some more giddyup. Reasonable comfort, driveability, and build quality for the price. This is my second Ranger. The first went 10+ years and 200,000 miles with very little problems and this one looks to be even better.

General overall driving position, visibility, and comfort.

The suicide doors in back seem like a good idea, but in reality they don't work out too well in a crowded parking lot. A flip forward seat works much better.