2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
tough little truck
By tyrone buckets on 06/16/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will never die cold or hot it starts. comfortable seats for long drives. Needs more room in the back for storage and seats. I have over 180,000 miles only needed to maintain truck. Nothing has gone wrong. I will get up to 355 miles on one tank.No speeding must dive a minimium 5-10 over speed limit Great MPGs.

Under Rated
By Tiny on 02/08/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

No better Compact Truck...period
By C Smith on 05/15/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

3rd Ranger I've owned (88,99,04). Truck is more reliable than any other truck I have owned. I work for a city gov. agency, I drive all makes and models. There is no better compact truck out there. Pull a 5x8 trailer w/ 2 sport quads. I would tell anyone to but this truck.

Number 6 for me
By Thomas on 05/10/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had and 83, which I put a 302 in after 180K miles, my 88,91,93,95 Splash and now a 2004 XLT 4x4, all gave me very little problems,the 2.9 L 88's TFI module went out on a rainy night but I always had a sparemodule, with the tool, in the glovebox. My 2004 ,with the 4.0 L V6, is the best yet as far as fit and function and reliability since I live in the snow belt it has to be good. I think I will upgrade to the 2008 FX4 this summer. Mine has 55K on it and still looks new.

One sweet little truck.
By Gene on 04/15/08 23:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I selected my 4 cylinder stickshift Ranger to serve as a daily driver, as a vehicle to drive on my 100 mile daily, 5 days per week school commute, and to be able to hold its own at Home Depot, Lowe's and Menard's. The handling, ride, and highway gas mileage is almost unbelievable! I've often seen 30+ MPG, and one week it actually delivered 35 MPG. The seats are surprisingly supportive and quite comfy for a small truck. I cross-shopped Chevy, GMC, and Toyota, but the Ranger beat them all for interior comfort, durability, fuel efficiency, reliability, appearance, and especially, price.

Just Ok
By RC on 07/08/07 04:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice truck for the money. I like the styling and the super cab is great. Lots of nice standard features for a truck in this price range.

Great Truck
By FordFan on 04/09/07 10:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have worked for Dodge and Toyota, both of there trucks can't compare to the quality and performance in my opinion, to a Ford. I'm a Ford guy and there really is nothing better. I love the 4.0l, lots of torque. Yea it eats gas, but I didn't but a truck for gas mileage. I love it. Excellent job Mr. Ford

Satisfied Owner
By Citroen on 01/08/07 11:27 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck for light towing and general pickup use. I have had it since June of '04 and have had no problems with it. It is a small truck so if you are 6 ft. or over you may want to go extended cab.

Quality and Value come together
By SuperMegStar on 11/10/06 21:06 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for just a simple truck to haul stuff with-nothing fancy. I saw an ad for a Ranger, and thought I would check it out. The price was right, and I got more features than I could have imagined. It is a simple car with lots of guts. It sits nicely and is really fun to drive. It looks like 4WD. Gas mileage is surprisingly good!

Nice Truck
By Green on 11/04/06 13:46 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After owning this truck for just over two years, I am loyal to Ford. I really like the performance and handling of the truck. It is a sharp looking vehicle, as well. I would buy again, except I plan on upgrading to an F-150 or better.