Used 2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Too bad they don't make these any more!
By Riverguy99

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Ranger (my 4th or 5th, can't remember) 5 years ago (2011) with 82K miles on it. I paid $7000 for it at that time. It had been owned by a maintenance fanatic and was absolutely as-new. Every service had been performed on schedule. It now has 109K miles on it and the maintenance has been kept up in the same manner. I've had no problems with it at all. The 4.0 engine has had full-synthetic oil since the first change. Other than regular maintenance, my only expense so far has been for a new battery.

This truck has all the toys: power windows, locks, automatic transmission, A/C, cruise-control, the Pioneer sound system etc., and everything has always worked as it should. The Ruby Red metallic finish still looks new even though the truck has been parked outside for the last 5 years.

Driving impressions:

Nice and quiet, handles well, the ride is great considering the hauling capability. I have a heavy-duty lumber rack on the truck and it often gets some amazing loads on it, which it handles fine.

When I bought the truck, it had gone about 5000 miles on a set of new tires. Now, 27,000 miles later, they still look almost new, with no uneven wear. This speaks well for the trucks suspension design.

Low-speed acceleration is impressive. Highway acceleration, not so much. It surprised me that on a regular trip I do which includes miles of 50-65 mph mildly curving highway up and down mountain ranges, this thing is flat-out floored to keep up with normal highway traffic. Pulling up a long, mild incline at 55 or 60 mph, when the hill gets a little bit steeper, the truck just keeps slowing down. If I mash the throttle to the floor, it will shift down, make a whole lot more noise, but not go any faster. And this is with no load in the truck! It's been that way since I've owned it.

Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about this truck. Oh yeah, one little one. The seat cushions are really hard, but I fixed that with a foam chair pad. The backrests are great for me.

That 4.0 SOC engine gets 18-19 mpg in mixed highway/town driving and 20-22 highway. For a truck, I'm happy with that. I do use premium gas, however, and the mileage is enough better to offset the cost of the gas, plus it performs noticeably better all around.

The transmission is terrific. Shifts solidly but smoothly and always right when it should.

On a Ranger Forum I subscribe to, there are complaints about timing chain issues on high-mile engines, and getting to the rear timing chain (yes, the right one is at the back of the engine) means removing the engine, as in expensive. I'm hoping that my oil-change diligence and that I keep the RPMs to a reasonable level will make this a non-issue.

I really like the convenience of the rear doors, although as other have mentioned, they are cumbersome in a parking lot with skinny spaces.

Bottom line: I can't think of a truck I could buy for this money that I'd rather have.

Very Good Small Truck
By Gary Spears

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you're looking for a good small truck you really can't go wrong with this one. Holds it's value well. Since there are a billion of them parts are cheap and plentiful.

My only recommendation is that if you get the super cab, you want to get the 4.0 liter V6. The 3 liter is a little small for that big of a truck. And the mileage difference is not that great.

Repeat buyer
By ArkieDave

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Learned my lesson with my first Ranger and got the super cab and 4L SOHC engine. Bucket seats are a big plus for comfort. This truck is fun to drive, unfaltering reliability, and reasonably economical for a vehicle with over 200 HP.

4L SOHC 210 HP motor. Bucket Seats. A/C frosts the windows. No repairs in 6 years.

Mine came with a 355 rear end gear which is great on the highway but a bit too high for heavier trailer towing and 5 speed. May not be a factor with auto transmission but 65-70 MPH falls between 4th and 5th gear in the manual and I don't like speeding with a heavy load and trailer. Get 373 gear for towing

Great Reliability
By Brian L.

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over a year now and have only had to replace the front brakes. This has been a very reliable truck and I would definitely recommend it if your wallet can afford the 15 city and 18 hwy mpg on the 4.0 model. It's not a speedy truck but more of a torque monster. This is a bit of a disappointment unless you're towing something. I barely notice whenever there is any weight on the truck. Overall a quality and reliability make this this ideal small truck.

4x4 on the go. Been through 1 bad snow storm and felt very safe. No slipping at all.

The Ranger would benefit from rear disc brakes and redesigned ABS. The braking response is slow and the stopping power is ok at best. Come on we're still using rear drums?

Good Truck so far
By bigmc83

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edge 4wd Supercab with 4L/ 5 spd manual. Great truck overall, has not let me down until recently. Freeway driving is good, has hauled plenty of stuff. Kegs, plywood, mulch...it does it all with no complaints. Towed my boat this past summer which was borderline overweight, but it did it with no problems. Unfortunately now the clutch slave/master cylinder is going. It did this last year and had it "fixed" by dealership but now it is doing it again. $1000+ cost so far for new slave/master/clutch. Never had a problem when I drove to/from school and has been a great daily driver. First major problem. Done some offroading and snow driving and it tackles it with ease. Overall good truck!

4 wheel drive is easy to use and pretty reliable. 4 dr extended cab is nice for storing stuff behind front seats. Good AC and heat and seats are fairly comfy and very durable fabric for dirty jobs. Rubber floor is much easier to clean/maintain vs. cloth floor. 4L V6 is a decent tower.

Bigger engine package. If you plan to tow anything, get the automatic. A better manual transmission and clutch setup would be appreciated. Tape deck acts up when I use tape adapter with my satellite radio. Keeps reversing direction and ejects until it warms up