Used 2004 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Under Rated
By Tiny

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

I love the feedback I get from the steering in my 04', and the 5spd manual is geared very well. I love the Rangers simplicity. It has a lot of performance potential, but there is so few aftermarket parts for it. However, with a little effort and mechanical know how, you can make anything work.

The Ranger is a great canvas for sport truck, muscle truck, and off roaders alike. Take a look at the right starting canvas and let your mind wander a bit. With a little imagination you can see where the Rangers potential lies. I can't suggest anything for this truck, it works, give it a chance.

Avoid
By trbgensmoke

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

The fact that it is so unreliable that hopefully it will blow up.

Hey Ford, try making something that is reliable, and worth the money! Or at least making an attempt to fix your quality control issues.

WORKS FOR ME!
By Harleys&Horses

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck can do it all. Always dependable, always ready - great for getting around and great for getting the job done.

Size.

Side mirrors should be larger.

This Truck is great
By wrongway

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

while I was shopping for a truck I came to the conclusion that this is one of if not the last true compact truck left, that comes with a compact price. Most other makers are moving there compacts to a more midsize level, and the price is moving north as well. I drive it like a truck and it performs well, offroad or onroad this is a good truck and I got a great deal. With all the rebates I came in well under invoice and I am more than happy with my purchase.

good on paper/ decent in reality
By avesrulsik222

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

within the first month the front right headlight went out for no reason. other then that the truck runs great.

the vynal interior and the ac.

different unlocking system.