2004 Ford Ranger Edge Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ranger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Sort Reviews by

Used "Edge"
By fproctor

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a used 84k mile standard cab, 6 ft bed "Edge" model and I am pleasantly surprised. I worked at Ford back in the 80s and vividly recall the transmission trouble Rangers had back then. I saw this one on the lot, liked the stepside look, Googled reviews on it (most were right here) and liked what I read. Bought it for $6k and feel like I got a great deal. UWS makes a bed toolbox for these (TBS-54-SPLA-BLK) that was designed for the older "Splash" stepside models.

Favorite Features

The stepside bed styling. Overall small size of the truck that allows great maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Mine came with crank windows, no power door locks, and no cruise control. I've already ordered an after market power door lock/keyless entry kit for a mere $57 which I'll install myself. Glass steams up abit when truck is not warmed up but always clears up after a couple minutes of running.

Perfect.. Well almost perfect.
By josh77

I bought mine used with 123,000 miles. It could idle better and the automatic transmission jumps a little (I heard that is because I use Wal-Mart Murphy gas). AC and everything are great but dont need it much since its small cab. The seats are comfortable, but i'm 6'1" so my legs could use more room. The inside looks nice. The outside is my favorite part. Everyone tells me what a nice truck I have. It runs good. Feels strong, though not the best acceleration. Its everything you can ask for in a small pick-up and more. Also very easy to resell. Fuel economy is great because I dont need the A/C as much as a car or suv. It cools down fast!

Favorite Features

The design! It looks beast. The cloth seats are great too. Raised a little more than most small trucks which is great.

Suggested Improvements

The ride could be smoother, but its still good.

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Favorite Features

Stereo System, Handling (for a pickup), and interior

Suggested Improvements

Rear Window, leaning back too far in seat will pop it out.

Satisfied Owner
By Citroen

I bought this truck for light towing and general pickup use. I have had it since June of '04 and have had no problems with it. It is a small truck so if you are 6 ft. or over you may want to go extended cab.

Favorite Features

I like everything the Edge package adds, large improvement over the standard. Body style is nice and the seats are comfortable over long trips.

Suggested Improvements

None really. It rides a bit rough at times but it is a truck and the Edge package does add a stiffer suspension. I would easily buy this truck again (though my biggest regrets is not getting an extended cab).

Quality and Value come together
By SuperMegStar

I was looking for just a simple truck to haul stuff with-nothing fancy. I saw an ad for a Ranger, and thought I would check it out. The price was right, and I got more features than I could have imagined. It is a simple car with lots of guts. It sits nicely and is really fun to drive. It looks like 4WD. Gas mileage is surprisingly good!

Favorite Features

I love the wheels and the way it sits. The stereo is superb quality and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the regular cab had just a couple more inches of leg room. I tend to have tall passengers.

good crosscountry
By adamcolorado

I bought this truck in Tampa Florida and drove it to Atlanta every weekend for six months, I now live in Denver, co. and have driven back to Atlanta twice. No problems yet and it towed a eight foot U-Haul loaded down along with the truck bed loaded down at 75 mph across the country no problem. It is a little sluggish at altitude from 7000ft and higher. Does really well in deep snow for a two wheel drive truck, and the heater is great!

Favorite Features

Stance, looks, and reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Lighter suspension in the rear.

Danger Ranger
By Danger Ranger

This truck is great. It out-performs my every expectation. It feels like it can conquer all, but is still comfortable and practical for everyday use. It's been strong and reliable for over a year now. It's a great value and never lets me down.

Favorite Features

The sweet sounds from the am/fm/cd/mp3 player. High, strong "edge" stance. worlds best a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Give it some more power!

2004 Ranger Edge
By mike

Bought it used from original owner with 2700 miles on it. Paid $11,000. He had to pay the bank an additional $1500 to get out from under it. This is an example of letting someone else take the depreciation. Tough market for used trucks as the dealers scoop them up and resell them. Hard to find one owner, low mileage trucks. LOVE THE EDGE! High ride height is what I need more than 4 wheel drive. Very stylish interior, seats are awesome. Rides and handles great. You will get good mileage on highway (and around town IF YOU HAVE A LIGHT FOOT). Would like to have the bigger engine but 3.0 is OK for me. Shifts very smooth. Super sharp looks with alloy wheels. Very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Ride height, styling of EDGE package, wheels and tires.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing comes to mind.

Tee hEeee hee hee
By TriciA

My brother has a ranger, my father has a ranger. Never thought I would buy one but when the Edge came around somehow I couldn't resist so now I own one. Not only did I have a good buying expierence at the dealership the driving expierence has been good as well. Best value for the price I would have to say. It's multifunctional and reliable so far I haven't any problems at all and niether have my fellow family members who owns one. My father has put a little over 10,000 miles on his edge already and hasen't complained about a thing. Waiting for a good snow to see how it handles...

Favorite Features

Manny tranny, took some getting used to but love it, the interior is nice too, love the rubber floor....

Suggested Improvements

obviously gas mileage, doesen't really bother me but damn it could be better....i imagine the automatics eat the gas....the 5 speed isn't that bad.....

I love my Ranger Edge
By AnikaSevenOfNine

I just bought my Ranger Edge and I love it. The only drawback is that it sucks up gas every time it passes a gas station. Other than that one little flaw, it's a wonderful truck.

Favorite Features

Mine is a bare-bones model, and I haven't learned how to use the MP3 player yet, which I think would be my favorite feature. That, or the CD player!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can think of to improve would be the gas mileage. It's not the greatest, and with the price of gas today, better mileage would be wonderful.