Used 2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Used "Edge"
By fproctor

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a used 84k mile standard cab, 6 ft bed "Edge" model and I am pleasantly surprised. I worked at Ford back in the 80s and vividly recall the transmission trouble Rangers had back then. I saw this one on the lot, liked the stepside look, Googled reviews on it (most were right here) and liked what I read. Bought it for $6k and feel like I got a great deal. UWS makes a bed toolbox for these (TBS-54-SPLA-BLK) that was designed for the older "Splash" stepside models.

Favorite Features

The stepside bed styling. Overall small size of the truck that allows great maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Mine came with crank windows, no power door locks, and no cruise control. I've already ordered an after market power door lock/keyless entry kit for a mere $57 which I'll install myself. Glass steams up abit when truck is not warmed up but always clears up after a couple minutes of running.

Great Truck!
By trclark23

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

To start this review, I'm not sure why Edmunds doesn't have an option for the single cab XLT 2.3L Automatic, because that's what I drive. Anyways, I bought this truck brand new in 2004 from Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN. Aside from a transmission recall before I hit 1,000 miles and an Oxygen sensor going back, this truck hasn't given me ANY issues since I've bought it whatsoever in the past 8 years. The truck doesn't drive smooth like a Cadillac but it's a truck and it's not meant to. The 2.3L Duratec engine (found in Rangers from 02-11) are literally bulletproof and will last 200-300-400,000 miles easy with regular maintenance. Ford screwed up discontinuing this truck.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on, Parts are easy to find as there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road. Gas mileage is great for a truck and the Ranger can handle just about anything you throw at it. (Just don't try to tow a house or something with it.)

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would have made an American crew cab for the Ranger, updated the look, and put a v8 in it.

Perfect.. Well almost perfect.
By josh77

I bought mine used with 123,000 miles. It could idle better and the automatic transmission jumps a little (I heard that is because I use Wal-Mart Murphy gas). AC and everything are great but dont need it much since its small cab. The seats are comfortable, but i'm 6'1" so my legs could use more room. The inside looks nice. The outside is my favorite part. Everyone tells me what a nice truck I have. It runs good. Feels strong, though not the best acceleration. Its everything you can ask for in a small pick-up and more. Also very easy to resell. Fuel economy is great because I dont need the A/C as much as a car or suv. It cools down fast!

Favorite Features

The design! It looks beast. The cloth seats are great too. Raised a little more than most small trucks which is great.

Suggested Improvements

The ride could be smoother, but its still good.

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Favorite Features

Stereo System, Handling (for a pickup), and interior

Suggested Improvements

Rear Window, leaning back too far in seat will pop it out.

Under Rated
By Tiny

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

Favorite Features

I love the feedback I get from the steering in my 04', and the 5spd manual is geared very well. I love the Rangers simplicity. It has a lot of performance potential, but there is so few aftermarket parts for it. However, with a little effort and mechanical know how, you can make anything work.

Suggested Improvements

The Ranger is a great canvas for sport truck, muscle truck, and off roaders alike. Take a look at the right starting canvas and let your mind wander a bit. With a little imagination you can see where the Rangers potential lies. I can't suggest anything for this truck, it works, give it a chance.