2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Used "Edge"
By fproctor on 01/29/13 12:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a used 84k mile standard cab, 6 ft bed "Edge" model and I am pleasantly surprised. I worked at Ford back in the 80s and vividly recall the transmission trouble Rangers had back then. I saw this one on the lot, liked the stepside look, Googled reviews on it (most were right here) and liked what I read. Bought it for $6k and feel like I got a great deal. UWS makes a bed toolbox for these (TBS-54-SPLA-BLK) that was designed for the older "Splash" stepside models.

Great Truck!
By trclark23 on 08/24/12 02:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

To start this review, I'm not sure why Edmunds doesn't have an option for the single cab XLT 2.3L Automatic, because that's what I drive. Anyways, I bought this truck brand new in 2004 from Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN. Aside from a transmission recall before I hit 1,000 miles and an Oxygen sensor going back, this truck hasn't given me ANY issues since I've bought it whatsoever in the past 8 years. The truck doesn't drive smooth like a Cadillac but it's a truck and it's not meant to. The 2.3L Duratec engine (found in Rangers from 02-11) are literally bulletproof and will last 200-300-400,000 miles easy with regular maintenance. Ford screwed up discontinuing this truck.

Perfect.. Well almost perfect.
By josh77 on 10/29/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

I bought mine used with 123,000 miles. It could idle better and the automatic transmission jumps a little (I heard that is because I use Wal-Mart Murphy gas). AC and everything are great but dont need it much since its small cab. The seats are comfortable, but i'm 6'1" so my legs could use more room. The inside looks nice. The outside is my favorite part. Everyone tells me what a nice truck I have. It runs good. Feels strong, though not the best acceleration. Its everything you can ask for in a small pick-up and more. Also very easy to resell. Fuel economy is great because I dont need the A/C as much as a car or suv. It cools down fast!

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan on 10/26/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Under Rated
By Tiny on 02/08/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

No better Compact Truck...period
By C Smith on 05/15/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

3rd Ranger I've owned (88,99,04). Truck is more reliable than any other truck I have owned. I work for a city gov. agency, I drive all makes and models. There is no better compact truck out there. Pull a 5x8 trailer w/ 2 sport quads. I would tell anyone to but this truck.

One sweet little truck.
By Gene on 04/15/08 23:54 PM (PDT)

I selected my 4 cylinder stickshift Ranger to serve as a daily driver, as a vehicle to drive on my 100 mile daily, 5 days per week school commute, and to be able to hold its own at Home Depot, Lowe's and Menard's. The handling, ride, and highway gas mileage is almost unbelievable! I've often seen 30+ MPG, and one week it actually delivered 35 MPG. The seats are surprisingly supportive and quite comfy for a small truck. I cross-shopped Chevy, GMC, and Toyota, but the Ranger beat them all for interior comfort, durability, fuel efficiency, reliability, appearance, and especially, price.

Satisfied Owner
By Citroen on 01/08/07 11:27 AM (PST)

I bought this truck for light towing and general pickup use. I have had it since June of '04 and have had no problems with it. It is a small truck so if you are 6 ft. or over you may want to go extended cab.

Quality and Value come together
By SuperMegStar on 11/10/06 21:06 PM (PST)

I was looking for just a simple truck to haul stuff with-nothing fancy. I saw an ad for a Ranger, and thought I would check it out. The price was right, and I got more features than I could have imagined. It is a simple car with lots of guts. It sits nicely and is really fun to drive. It looks like 4WD. Gas mileage is surprisingly good!

Avoid
By trbgensmoke on 09/06/06 02:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

1 2 3 4 5 next »