2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Under Rated
By Tiny on 02/08/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

Avoid
By trbgensmoke on 09/06/06 02:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

WORKS FOR ME!
By Harleys&Horses on 07/07/06 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck can do it all. Always dependable, always ready - great for getting around and great for getting the job done.

This Truck is great
By wrongway on 12/01/04 03:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

while I was shopping for a truck I came to the conclusion that this is one of if not the last true compact truck left, that comes with a compact price. Most other makers are moving there compacts to a more midsize level, and the price is moving north as well. I drive it like a truck and it performs well, offroad or onroad this is a good truck and I got a great deal. With all the rebates I came in well under invoice and I am more than happy with my purchase.

good on paper/ decent in reality
By avesrulsik222 on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

within the first month the front right headlight went out for no reason. other then that the truck runs great.

My 1st new truck
By fsufan on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My new 2004 ford ranger is great for me and very versatile. The ride is much better than any of the other trucks i test drove. Especially the chevrolet s-10.

this is my second ranger there great
By james cramer on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

great truck i use it for work

2004 Ranger XL 2.3 /4 w/5 spd manual
By Don Arthur on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage not up to expectations, so far about 22 (EPA rated at 24 city) for mixed city/highway. When first started engine revs way too high (2400-2500 RPM). This is annoying & cannot be good for engine. As usual no satisfaction from dealer service (they claim it's all computer regulated and NORMAL). It may be computer regulated, but I doubt it's NORMAL. Otherwise I like the Ranger, easy to drive, handles nicely, but 4 cylinder is anemic in top gear(s)..have to downshift too frequently. Probably should have gone for 3.0 liter V-6 and automatic (wouldn't have to manually downshift). Have only 600 miles on it, so too soon to make any lasting judgments.

Love It!!!
By redcar224 on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

Been a great truck!

NEW RANGER
By E A MCMAHON on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

FOR THE SHORT TIME I'VE HAD IT ITS EVERYTHING I HAD WANTED