2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Used "Edge"
By fproctor on 01/29/13 12:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a used 84k mile standard cab, 6 ft bed "Edge" model and I am pleasantly surprised. I worked at Ford back in the 80s and vividly recall the transmission trouble Rangers had back then. I saw this one on the lot, liked the stepside look, Googled reviews on it (most were right here) and liked what I read. Bought it for $6k and feel like I got a great deal. UWS makes a bed toolbox for these (TBS-54-SPLA-BLK) that was designed for the older "Splash" stepside models.

Great Truck!
By trclark23 on 08/24/12 02:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

To start this review, I'm not sure why Edmunds doesn't have an option for the single cab XLT 2.3L Automatic, because that's what I drive. Anyways, I bought this truck brand new in 2004 from Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN. Aside from a transmission recall before I hit 1,000 miles and an Oxygen sensor going back, this truck hasn't given me ANY issues since I've bought it whatsoever in the past 8 years. The truck doesn't drive smooth like a Cadillac but it's a truck and it's not meant to. The 2.3L Duratec engine (found in Rangers from 02-11) are literally bulletproof and will last 200-300-400,000 miles easy with regular maintenance. Ford screwed up discontinuing this truck.

Perfect.. Well almost perfect.
By josh77 on 10/29/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine used with 123,000 miles. It could idle better and the automatic transmission jumps a little (I heard that is because I use Wal-Mart Murphy gas). AC and everything are great but dont need it much since its small cab. The seats are comfortable, but i'm 6'1" so my legs could use more room. The inside looks nice. The outside is my favorite part. Everyone tells me what a nice truck I have. It runs good. Feels strong, though not the best acceleration. Its everything you can ask for in a small pick-up and more. Also very easy to resell. Fuel economy is great because I dont need the A/C as much as a car or suv. It cools down fast!

Repeat buyer
By ArkieDave on 07/09/10 12:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Learned my lesson with my first Ranger and got the super cab and 4L SOHC engine. Bucket seats are a big plus for comfort. This truck is fun to drive, unfaltering reliability, and reasonably economical for a vehicle with over 200 HP.

Great Reliability
By Brian L. on 06/07/10 22:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over a year now and have only had to replace the front brakes. This has been a very reliable truck and I would definitely recommend it if your wallet can afford the 15 city and 18 hwy mpg on the 4.0 model. It's not a speedy truck but more of a torque monster. This is a bit of a disappointment unless you're towing something. I barely notice whenever there is any weight on the truck. Overall a quality and reliability make this this ideal small truck.

Good Truck so far
By bigmc83 on 01/23/10 19:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edge 4wd Supercab with 4L/ 5 spd manual. Great truck overall, has not let me down until recently. Freeway driving is good, has hauled plenty of stuff. Kegs, plywood, mulch...it does it all with no complaints. Towed my boat this past summer which was borderline overweight, but it did it with no problems. Unfortunately now the clutch slave/master cylinder is going. It did this last year and had it "fixed" by dealership but now it is doing it again. $1000+ cost so far for new slave/master/clutch. Never had a problem when I drove to/from school and has been a great daily driver. First major problem. Done some offroading and snow driving and it tackles it with ease. Overall good truck!

Perfect Present
By Nick Wray on 01/05/10 20:26 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After Highschool graduation it was time to upgrade over my 86 Silverado. I knew for a while I wanted a Ranger, Im impressed with way my truck handles and drives. The 3.0 is a good mixture of performance and fuel effiency. Its a solid little truck, that looks as good as it drives. The extended cab is perfect for transporting all my gear to and from school. It can hold all my fishing and camping supplies inside, out of the elemets. The Edge package gives it an awesome stance. I opted for the 2 wheel drive, over the 4 simply for the fact that I dont plan on doing any serious off-roading in it.I upgraded the head unit and rear speakers, simply because Im going through my loud music phase.

Awesome Ranger
By Dave on 12/09/09 14:20 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck ever, always what I wanted and always a good experience

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan on 10/26/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Excellent Value
By wyxlzorf on 07/15/09 18:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use my Ranger for a daily driver, doing run and bump North Dallas commuting during the week. The weekend finds it pulling a 30 foot long, but light trailer hauling a glider. Great utility vehicle, but could use some more giddyup. Reasonable comfort, driveability, and build quality for the price. This is my second Ranger. The first went 10+ years and 200,000 miles with very little problems and this one looks to be even better.