Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very Good Small Truck
By Gary Spears

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you're looking for a good small truck you really can't go wrong with this one. Holds it's value well. Since there are a billion of them parts are cheap and plentiful.

My only recommendation is that if you get the super cab, you want to get the 4.0 liter V6. The 3 liter is a little small for that big of a truck. And the mileage difference is not that great.

Used "Edge"
By fproctor

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a used 84k mile standard cab, 6 ft bed "Edge" model and I am pleasantly surprised. I worked at Ford back in the 80s and vividly recall the transmission trouble Rangers had back then. I saw this one on the lot, liked the stepside look, Googled reviews on it (most were right here) and liked what I read. Bought it for $6k and feel like I got a great deal. UWS makes a bed toolbox for these (TBS-54-SPLA-BLK) that was designed for the older "Splash" stepside models.

The stepside bed styling. Overall small size of the truck that allows great maneuverability.

Mine came with crank windows, no power door locks, and no cruise control. I've already ordered an after market power door lock/keyless entry kit for a mere $57 which I'll install myself. Glass steams up abit when truck is not warmed up but always clears up after a couple minutes of running.

Great Truck!
By trclark23

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

To start this review, I'm not sure why Edmunds doesn't have an option for the single cab XLT 2.3L Automatic, because that's what I drive.

Anyways, I bought this truck brand new in 2004 from Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN. Aside from a transmission recall before I hit 1,000 miles and an Oxygen sensor going back, this truck hasn't given me ANY issues since I've bought it whatsoever in the past 8 years.

The truck doesn't drive smooth like a Cadillac but it's a truck and it's not meant to. The 2.3L Duratec engine (found in Rangers from 02-11) are literally bulletproof and will last 200-300-400,000 miles easy with regular maintenance. Ford screwed up discontinuing this truck.

Easy to work on, Parts are easy to find as there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road. Gas mileage is great for a truck and the Ranger can handle just about anything you throw at it. (Just don't try to tow a house or something with it.)

I wish Ford would have made an American crew cab for the Ranger, updated the look, and put a v8 in it.

Perfect.. Well almost perfect.
By josh77

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine used with 123,000 miles. It could idle better and the automatic transmission jumps a little (I heard that is because I use Wal-Mart Murphy gas).
AC and everything are great but dont need it much since its small cab.
The seats are comfortable, but i'm 6'1" so my legs could use more room. The inside looks nice. The outside is my favorite part. Everyone tells me what a nice truck I have. It runs good. Feels strong, though not the best acceleration. Its everything you can ask for in a small pick-up and more. Also very easy to resell.
Fuel economy is great because I dont need the A/C as much as a car or suv. It cools down fast!

The design! It looks beast. The cloth seats are great too. Raised a little more than most small trucks which is great.

The ride could be smoother, but its still good.

Repeat buyer
By ArkieDave

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Learned my lesson with my first Ranger and got the super cab and 4L SOHC engine. Bucket seats are a big plus for comfort. This truck is fun to drive, unfaltering reliability, and reasonably economical for a vehicle with over 200 HP.

4L SOHC 210 HP motor. Bucket Seats. A/C frosts the windows. No repairs in 6 years.

Mine came with a 355 rear end gear which is great on the highway but a bit too high for heavier trailer towing and 5 speed. May not be a factor with auto transmission but 65-70 MPH falls between 4th and 5th gear in the manual and I don't like speeding with a heavy load and trailer. Get 373 gear for towing