2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Still the best value at this p

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.0 ft. Bed)

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore on

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

1) Fun-to-drive: zippy engine, sharp handling, easy to maneuver. 2)Low operating costs: cheap on gas, repairs, manintence, and insurance. 3) Comfortable: intuitive ergonomics, more elbow room than most small trucks, good A/C, comfortable cloth coutour seats, easy-to clean vinyl floors.

Engine is apt to ping, and the 5-speed auto sometimes hunts for the right gear. I'll get a new Ranger when Ford offers a plug-in hybrid version. And a crew cab? The only small crewcab Ford offers is the Explorer SportTrac. It would be cheaper to buy 2 basic Rangers than to buy 1 of those.