A tough little truck
By Engineer on
2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
My Ranger with the 3.0 V6 Auto trans now has 240,000 miles. I follow the 3k oil changes and keep it serviced. It is as tough as nails. It averages 19MPG. It lacks on tow ability but will tow a 4x8 box trailer without any issues. The heater cores are prone to leak, mine has been replaced twice. I have also had to replace the radiator. If you're tall, the cab is a bit cramped. But for the money...you can't go wrong. These are tough trucks. It has never leaked any oil nor has it ever knocked. FYI... these little motors run hot, if you buy one with miles on it, be sure to replace belts and plug wires as they heat crack quickly and this is often overlooked.
Favorite Features
It's just a tough little truck and far more reliable than the S10 or Dakota as I have owned both. These trucks are priced fair and are a safe buy for a good work or sport vehicle. Best feature is you can't really tell a 1999 from a 2007 with the exception of the grill.
Suggested Improvements
The body design is dated, can't hide the fact that this is the same body since 1995 however the drive line and suspension have been updated. more leg room for tall drivers. Easier access to the heater core. it's about $550 to replace at the dealer.