Used 2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2003 Ranger
By Carl Tudor

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Ranger. I had a 1984, 1989, and now a 2003. I have had very little problems with any Ford Ranger including this one. I would buy another Ranger as my next purchase.

Favorite Features

More power than previous modles

Suggested Improvements

Bench seat for 2nd set of seats instead of jump seats. Kids sometimes get banged around in stop and go traffic.

Practical 4X4
By Adirondack Color

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had no problems at all with this vehicle since purchased, a comfortable 4X4 to drive on road (Expressway) or off. Great in snow without ballast in bed. Do get 22 mpg on expressway with cruise set at 69, 15 to 16 mpg around town and using 4 wheel drive. No problem recommending this vehicle to someone else. On main roads rides as well as my old Mercury Sable did but with a lot better visibility.

Favorite Features

The auto trans, AC, CD player, tilt wheel, cruise, and power windows make this vehicle seem more like a car than a truck but its nice to put it in 4 wheel drive and head out into the mountains when you want.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it got a little better mileage around town.

2003 ranger
By sawml

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Vibration, while driving, back to dealer several time to have repaired, they blamed continental tires, but would not replace with other brand. At least 12 different tire put on vehicle. Damaaged at dealers occured twice, requiring sheetmetal and paint work. Now with 12000 miles the transmission has to be rebuilt. Will not buy any other Ford products. This is the sixth ranger I have owned and the last.

Suggested Improvements

Practice Customer Service

2003 Ford Ranger
By F. Hamlett

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drives well, comfortable interior. Would have liked leather but not available. Reliability has not been great. It sported an out-of-round rear axle from the factory and I thought it may have been just a fluke, but a few months later a front axle bearing went out. These kinds of reliability problems could have been avoided with more care at the manufacturing level. No more problems to report at this time. I feel a little better about the truck now that these problems have been addressed and I have driven it for approx. 10,000 miles since the incident with the front bearing with no other problems to report.

Favorite Features

Paint is excellent. Interior quality is great when compared to other small trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank.

Overrated
By bdoug

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My previous small truck was an '89 Mazda B2200 and I really miss it. At 6'4" I have trouble seeing to my right at crossroads because of the mirror. The gas mileage has been awful. The gas mileage started out around 15 mpg and is at 13 now that I am running the air conditioning. The worst thing, however, has been the bouncing bed. On any road that has bumps, the rear end of the truck bounces all over the road. I took my winter weight and have been driving it around this spring to try to keep the rear wheels on the road.

Favorite Features

The space in the area behind the seats (extended cab) is great. Also, I never hear road noise (no sliding rear window though).

Suggested Improvements

The truck needs to be able to seat three people in the front. Rear suspension needs to be improved so the truck doesn't bounce. The gas mileage has to be improved too.