2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great truck for the money
By jsm131 on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First small pickup I have ever owned. Good performance on the highway and on twisty mountain roads. Have not taken it off-road. Mine is a 5-speed manual. Good shifting, smooth clutch and excellent take-off with the 4.10 rear end. Actually could use a better fifth gear ratio. 5th is a little too close to 4th for long highway driving.

New 2003
By rangerman on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Ranger. I traded in a 1994 with 170,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. I like the 2003 overall. It rides a little rough on bumpy pavement as trucks do. I really like the rear doors. The gas mileage is 22mpg with a 3.55 Limited Slip Differential. I've had it for three weeks and 2700 miles and so far so good.

My first truck
By paradoxdsf on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm not really a truck person, but I needed a 4-wheel drive vehicle to get me in and out of my driveway (etc.) during the winter months, and the Ranger was the most affordable thing I could find.

Did I Make the Wrong Choice?
By CraigS on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since our son will be the primary driver; we got the 3.0 V-6 not the 4.0. The 3.0 runs really rough at idle, took it back to the dealer, they said that is normal. The service manager recommended we go with the 4.0 next time, not what I wanted to hear, since I just bought the truck. So before you buy, make sure the engine has a smooth idle, or you are going to live with it! Other the engine concerns, we like the truck, carries two MX bikes with ease

Ford Ranger EDGE vs. Toyota Tacoma
By Digital_Alex on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the Ford Ranger Edge Plus 03' 4x4 4 door. I bought the top-of-the line model. I was dead set on buying the top-of-the line Tacoma V6 4x4 extra cab, but when I compared the features/price, I bought the Ford! I saved $4500 vs. the same comparable Tacoma. Some difference between the 2 vehicles. Tacoma Specs: 3.4L V6 190 HP @ 4,800 RPM 220 LB. Ft. @ 3,600 RPM Max tow weight: 5,000 LB. w/ Auto. Ford Specs: 4.0L V6 207 HP @ 5,250 RPM 238 LB. Ft. @ 3000 RPM Max tow weight: 5,580 LB. w/ Auto. My test drive of both vehicles proved that the Ford Ranger Edge Plus outperforms the Toyota Tacoma V6.

Get more "Value" in your truck.
By Scott1123 on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Value 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Awesome Truck so far. the SOHC 4.0 has great power and towing capacity. Got the "Value" package more for appearance than to save money, as I got mine loaded with options. The only thing I see missing is the carpet and black fender flares which gives the truck cleaner lines and a better look IMHO so you get an XLT with chrome with the Edge interior. So far the truck has been reliable smooth and really fun to drive. 4WD with limited slip 4.10 axle and this thing goes just about anywhere. I also got the 5spd auto wich is an amazing match to the SOHC 4.0 the feel of a solid 5spd manual without the work or hassle.

My Ranger 4.0 S.O.H.C
By cyrus on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

My experience has been good so far.I just have a few complaints......It seems to lean to the left (annoying) and I get a vibration on accell,it sometimes feels squirely on the highway,feathers tires way before it should (before 3,000 miles). hopefully the dealer will correct these issues.But,overall I am satisfied with my Ranger "POWERHOUSE".

Great Truck
By wnfd on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Its a great truck thats meets a variety of peoples needs.

FX4 level II Ranger-Top of it's class!
By Mike Wright on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought my FX4 level II Ranger back in January of 2003. I have 13,000 miles on it so far and it still drives like the day I bought it. I love this truck so much I can't stay out of it. the power is right there with the 5-speed automatic transmission and the 4:10 gears. My truck also has bucket seats and the ride is just right. This one of the best Rangers ford has ever made!

Nice Rig!
By JPeterman on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I was looking at the Toyota Tundra 4x4 when I came across this truck online in Ford's inventory close to my house. I found that Toyota was a "little too proud" of what they had to offer (read: too much money). When I first saw this silver beast I knew I was in for a good time. It had all the options I wanted in a vehicle (power windows, power door locks, keyless entry, limited slip diff., etc.) and for good measure it had the very cool split tonneau cover! Very nice drive, even on a long trip from Portland to Salt Lake City.