Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Truck
By FelBrown

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just got this truck four months ago. I would say to go with the 4.0L instead of the 3.0L because my least favorite part of my truck is the 3.0L. I came from having a 4.3L and I am used to the power; going to a 3.0L was a little disappointing. Other than that, this is the best truck I have ever owned. It is very dependable and stylish.

Favorite Features

1) No carpet on the floors. 2) Flex Fuel system 3) Comfort of the seats 4) Reliability 5) THE EXTERIOR DESIGN.

Suggested Improvements

I would say not to degrade the quality of this truck with a 3.0L. It definitely deserves more power than that. I think people would be willing to pay for that extra power.

My First Truck Ever And I Love It
By Ctrimm

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have the V6 4.0. It has all the horsepower I need with the good gas mileage that we all need.

Favorite Features

The 6 disk cd changer, the engine, the look, plenty of head room.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible back seats. I'm a big guy at six foot, 250 pounds, so they will never get used.

Great little big truck
By Sheldon Metler

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ranger Edge is the first Ford I have owned. I have to say it has been a great truck. I have 29,300 miles on it and have no complaints or problems to report. I do take great care of it and it is a garaged vehicle. I have added many extras to give it an added EDGE. It is definitely an eye catcher and I get many compliments on the truck. My only gripe would be the 15 miles to the gallon I get but that is with an added supercharger. It originally got on average 17 to 18 but for an extra 75 horsepower it's worth the extra trips to the pump. I plan on owning this truck till the wheels fall off. I will buy another probably in 2007 but I will always have a special feel for my 2003. GREAT TRUCK!

Favorite Features

Great looks, especially the hood. Comfort, feels like a larger truck on the road. Great dash configuration, simple but functional.

Suggested Improvements

A V-8 model for 2007!

an ok buy
By zachary

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a Toyota man, but purchased the Ranger whenI was tight on cash. I've had the truck almost three years and have had 2 problems. At 13k, a water hose burst. At 55K the inertia switch shorted out. At 71k engine is still running strong, interior is comfortable, all electrical is functioning properly. My biggest criticism is the brakes. I had the original set replaced around 50k and ever since then they have given me problems. I had three new sets put on between 50k-70k and each worse than the set before. The dealership says they need to be "worn in" but after my extended warranty expired, I've taken my chances and dealt with seems to be a cheap design flaw or careless mechanics

Favorite Features

Comfort and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

BRAKES STINK.

2003 Ranger: A GREAT LITTLE TRUCK
By Don Carson

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have rented these trucks for years and finally bought one in 2003. It is a great vehicle. I use it as a daily driver and to pull a 15' boat. It gets a good workout hauling lumber, trees and furniture. I am six feet & six inches tall and the extended cab gives me great leg room for long trips. The truck cruises comfortably at 75-80 miles an hour and gets about 20 MPG. I have had no problems with this truck. I do my own maintenance & it is easy to change the oil and filter. I just changed the serpentine fan belt and it was a 5 minute job. Ford has been building this truck for years and it is very reliable and comfortable. I highly recommend it. My wife also enjoys driving it.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficient and powerful 3.0 engine. Great 5 speed automatic. Love the legroom of the 4 door cab. Good ride for a truck. Good quality control - everything works like it is supposed to. Like the looks of the flare side bed.

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the scratchy fabric on the armrest, but I noticed the '05 and '06 models have much softer armrests. Other than that, I can think of nothing I would change. This is a really good truck that can haul a lot. I even used it to pull up trees after the hurricane.