2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2003 ranger
By sawml on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Vibration, while driving, back to dealer several time to have repaired, they blamed continental tires, but would not replace with other brand. At least 12 different tire put on vehicle. Damaaged at dealers occured twice, requiring sheetmetal and paint work. Now with 12000 miles the transmission has to be rebuilt. Will not buy any other Ford products. This is the sixth ranger I have owned and the last.

2003 Ford Ranger
By F. Hamlett on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drives well, comfortable interior. Would have liked leather but not available. Reliability has not been great. It sported an out-of-round rear axle from the factory and I thought it may have been just a fluke, but a few months later a front axle bearing went out. These kinds of reliability problems could have been avoided with more care at the manufacturing level. No more problems to report at this time. I feel a little better about the truck now that these problems have been addressed and I have driven it for approx. 10,000 miles since the incident with the front bearing with no other problems to report.

Overrated
By bdoug on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My previous small truck was an '89 Mazda B2200 and I really miss it. At 6'4" I have trouble seeing to my right at crossroads because of the mirror. The gas mileage has been awful. The gas mileage started out around 15 mpg and is at 13 now that I am running the air conditioning. The worst thing, however, has been the bouncing bed. On any road that has bumps, the rear end of the truck bounces all over the road. I took my winter weight and have been driving it around this spring to try to keep the rear wheels on the road.

Great Truck
By Lindy on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I use this truck for field service and my annual mileage is 40,000 miles. The drivetrain has performed flawlessly.The edge model allows one to see ahead many cars in front. I have a manual trans.

Level II - Best Ranger Yet
By That guy in Amarillo on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Between my wife, daughter, and I, we have owned 7 Rangers since 1990. When shopping for a new vehicle, we test drove dozens of new cars with our one and only preference being the vehicle's comfort of ride (seat comfort as well as handling comfort). Only the FX4 Level II had good handling as well as the seat comfort we want for traveling 12-16 hours a day. We continue to shop for new cars (including the new 2004 Level II), but we have not yet found any vehicle that gives as good of performance, handling, dependability, and comfortable seating all in one package.

Safe to wreck!
By ill_iterate on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was envolved in a bad collision. A lady in a civic tried to cross the street while I was doing 55mph...So? The Civic is gone to automobile heaven, and that truck was fixed and still runs great! Just a small bend in the frame! This truck is stout, but get the 4.0 because my 3.0 is lacking power.

Edge Excellent
By mapricejr on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ranger has long been a fairly reliable truck. The 3.0 liter is spunky and milage is a bit above average. The edge trim is eye catching and keeping up with the changing faces of autos today. I really enjoy my truck.

Not bad
By BSmith on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm not crazy about my Ranger. The biggest problem I have is that the 3.0 liter engine is underpowered. I would suggest buying the larger engine.

Built FORD Tough
By Riverrat34 on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for a little over a year and I love it. It could be a little bigger but that's not a big deal. The truck rides like a truck should. To many people are soft these days and I am glad to see that ford didn't go soft. The towing cappasity on this truck is outstanding. For the money this truck is the best on the market.

Will Buy Another
By Will Buy Another on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had truck for 10 months & 11,000 miles. Has been 100% trouble free. Be sure to get the 4.0 Liter V6. The extra cost is worth the grin-factor. Considered the Tacoma, but for the same equipment it would have cost about $5K more. The extra cost was not worth the possibly better reliability. Plus with the Ranger I bought a 75K mile extended warranty so what's to worry about. I'm way ahead on $$