Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Nice
By 03

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

Looks great, stock 6-cd changer, easy to keep interior clean

Awesome little truck
By Doug

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love driving this truck. I would have liked to have a 5 speed, but circumstances at the time dictated that I take what I could get. My last truck was a F-250 with lock out hubs. I love this truck that all you have to do is turn a switch and you're in 4WD. With the off road package, its a little rough on fuel, but not the worst that I've seen.

Design a better rear sliding window.

Not the best out there but...
By fordguy1212

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

These Rangers are great work horse trucks. I've had the bed absolutely loaded with asphalt, concrete, stone etc. and the Ranger handles it well. The 4.0L motor seems good enough for the trucks size, not very peppy though and drinks gas like no tomorrow(comparable to a newer silverado 5.3L). My complaint is the front brakes. They constantly squeal, and have a ridiculous amount of brake dust coming from them. Even on replacement with after market parts the problem has not gone away. I find it to be a serious design flaw. Overall it's a reliable truck that I use often and it seems to be holding up well.

Exterior design, hauling capability, seats are comfortable.

Brake issue needs to be fixed. The interior design is very boring (like most new cars/trucks I suppose).

Tall, Dark and Strong
By Organicj

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck used to get me around while I finish customizing my 01' Chevy S-10. It is such a nice truck that I am now thinking of customizing it too(just a little). While the Ranger doesn't have the initial pickup that my dime(S-10) does it is strong and can pull way more than my dime ever thought about. I like the Ranger's styling and is very fun to drive. I wish it got a little better gas mileage but you can't have everything. There really is no comparison so I am glad I own both.

V6 engine, clean interior, aluminum driveshaft, bullet-proof chasis

Give me someplace to put a system in or just put in a bench and ditch the jump seats. I will do the rest!

All over again
By Jaydub02

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Ranger. The 4.0 is a huge improvement in power and still gets 20mpg on the highway. I love the 5 speed auto its smooth and quiet. I towed my wifes taurus and had a motorcycle in the bed 350 miles. With the o/d off I still got 13mpg at 65mph on the trip with no problems. 4.0 hauled the 4500+lb payload with aplomb. I am very pleased with my Ranger and would recommend it to anyone who needs a smaller truck.

Limited slip rear axle 238ft-lbs of torque at 3000rpm. Electronic 4WD. And striking good looks inside and out.

V-8 option. Keep building the Ranger