2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
White Ford Ranger Edge '03
By dduffe on 04/01/05 13:24 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has plenty of power (210 hp) and reasonable fuel economy. It rides smoothly like a car down smooth roads. The stiff suspension makes the bumps felt however and if you hit a pot hole, you are reminded that you are in a truck. It has pulled heavy trailers without making a noticeable difference in the acceleration and performance on the interstate highways, even in mountainous terrain. The only thing which has gone wrong with my truck in the 18 months I've had it is the CD player/ radio, which my dealership replaced for free.

Good value...
By Atlanta_Ranger on 01/16/05 08:13 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger. I had 2000 (4.0L) I leased for 2 years and it had a couple of minor warranty issues. This one has the 3.0L and while not as powerful, it seems to be a more refined engine. I bought it because I get X- Plan plus the other incentives were great. Ended up getting it for $3500 below invoice. That makes it tough to beat. It is a good looking truck and it rides nice. Gas mileage could be better. However, I have had the vehicle at the dealer 5 times for rattles; all came from front-end or suspension problems. It still has rattles and given the fact that I never take the vehicle off paved roads this seems unreasonable.

You get what you payed for.
By mykl on 01/14/05 02:57 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I do like this truck; it rides well, especially on the highway. One problem is that the rear is so light. It doesn't handle well if the rode is even slightly wet, never mind snow. The 3.0 engine is all right; a bit noisy, and the pick up is just OK. But i never had one single problem with this truck in 18,000+ miles. I would definitely get the 4x4 next time, but I got a great deal on this '03 leftover and couldn't pass it up.

oil leak
By judy on 01/01/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have had my truck into the shop 3 times for a leak first they told me there was none then they said it was the rear seal then they told me the oil filter was not tight enough ... for 2 years i dont think so i think it is the oil pan which i will fix myself besides the bad experience with the machanic i like my truck , not sure i would buy from that dealership again

oil leak
By judy on 01/01/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

repair problems
By woody on 01/01/05 09:49 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The truck has to many expensive repair problems. Brakes $950.00, Cluch & slave cylinder $935.00, poor performance engine repair $600. note truck all 3 times was down for 2 to 3 days.

Great Truck Overall
By Zach M. on 11/03/04 23:36 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this truck as my first new car. Best compact pickup, overall am very pleased with everything. Opt for a 6 cylinder, cause the 4 has no power and lacks great gas mileage. Paint quality isnt very good either. But am overall pleased with the vehicle is fun to drive and looks great with the XLT Appearance package(chrome grill and wheels). Still too new to tell overall reliability!

2003 Ranger
By Carl Tudor on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Ranger. I had a 1984, 1989, and now a 2003. I have had very little problems with any Ford Ranger including this one. I would buy another Ranger as my next purchase.

Practical 4X4
By Adirondack Color on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had no problems at all with this vehicle since purchased, a comfortable 4X4 to drive on road (Expressway) or off. Great in snow without ballast in bed. Do get 22 mpg on expressway with cruise set at 69, 15 to 16 mpg around town and using 4 wheel drive. No problem recommending this vehicle to someone else. On main roads rides as well as my old Mercury Sable did but with a lot better visibility.

I like it!
By uncle fud on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

3.0 liter engine is peppy and coupled with the 4.10 rear end can lead to some surprising performance. Gas mileage hovers around 20 mpg. I am well pleased with the Ranger in all respects.