Used 2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2003 Ranger ratings
By bfunk62

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Ford Ranger! I think the exterior as well as interior design are awesome. It is fun to drive and gets OK gas mileage. I just calculated mine today and I get 16.5 mpg. This is actually really good for a pickup truck. On the other hand, because it's such a small pickup truck, the ride is extremely rough and any pothole or uneven road will throw the truck around. The driver must keep their hands on the wheel at all times because unexpected bumps will send it off the road. I noticed this in two other Rangers that I drove, so I can say that they are rough riding trucks and not just from one experience. Overall I love my ranger and I think it is 10x better looking than Chevy S-10's!

Favorite Features

I love the exterior design of my truck and the two tone seats give the interior a not-so-plain look. The gas mileage is unbeatable for a pickup truck.

Suggested Improvements

I did not like the square grille that came stock on my truck, so I bought a stock honeycomb grille. Also the ride is very bumpy and the driver always has to watch the road to avoid big bumps in order to have a semi comfortable ride.

Good Truck
By FelBrown

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just got this truck four months ago. I would say to go with the 4.0L instead of the 3.0L because my least favorite part of my truck is the 3.0L. I came from having a 4.3L and I am used to the power; going to a 3.0L was a little disappointing. Other than that, this is the best truck I have ever owned. It is very dependable and stylish.

Favorite Features

1) No carpet on the floors. 2) Flex Fuel system 3) Comfort of the seats 4) Reliability 5) THE EXTERIOR DESIGN.

Suggested Improvements

I would say not to degrade the quality of this truck with a 3.0L. It definitely deserves more power than that. I think people would be willing to pay for that extra power.

My First Truck Ever And I Love It
By Ctrimm

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have the V6 4.0. It has all the horsepower I need with the good gas mileage that we all need.

Favorite Features

The 6 disk cd changer, the engine, the look, plenty of head room.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible back seats. I'm a big guy at six foot, 250 pounds, so they will never get used.

Great little big truck
By Sheldon Metler

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ranger Edge is the first Ford I have owned. I have to say it has been a great truck. I have 29,300 miles on it and have no complaints or problems to report. I do take great care of it and it is a garaged vehicle. I have added many extras to give it an added EDGE. It is definitely an eye catcher and I get many compliments on the truck. My only gripe would be the 15 miles to the gallon I get but that is with an added supercharger. It originally got on average 17 to 18 but for an extra 75 horsepower it's worth the extra trips to the pump. I plan on owning this truck till the wheels fall off. I will buy another probably in 2007 but I will always have a special feel for my 2003. GREAT TRUCK!

Favorite Features

Great looks, especially the hood. Comfort, feels like a larger truck on the road. Great dash configuration, simple but functional.

Suggested Improvements

A V-8 model for 2007!

an ok buy
By zachary

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a Toyota man, but purchased the Ranger whenI was tight on cash. I've had the truck almost three years and have had 2 problems. At 13k, a water hose burst. At 55K the inertia switch shorted out. At 71k engine is still running strong, interior is comfortable, all electrical is functioning properly. My biggest criticism is the brakes. I had the original set replaced around 50k and ever since then they have given me problems. I had three new sets put on between 50k-70k and each worse than the set before. The dealership says they need to be "worn in" but after my extended warranty expired, I've taken my chances and dealt with seems to be a cheap design flaw or careless mechanics

Favorite Features

Comfort and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

BRAKES STINK.