2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Good Starter Car
By Adam on 12/29/05 15:22 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great for a light/work truck. Never any mechanical problems in first 60K miles. CD changer went out in first 20K. Some dash instruments cheaply assembled, e.g. knobs broke off/snapped. Fuel economy was not as efficient as expected. Poor for V6.

Exceptional Value
By Fudge on 11/23/05 00:20 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for a part time job that I had delivering lost airport luggage to passengers. It was perfect for that. Good gas mileage, load carrying capacity, reliable, etc. Since then I've used it as a work truck for construction sites. It has good off road capability. When I moved from a townhouse, I used this vehicle to haul "everything". I do mean everything, sofa's, big screen tvs, tables, beds. I have a five speed that's been good on gas. I've added side step bars, and a cab. This is a very nice looking truck that looks more expensive than it costs. Very happy with it.

Great for the price!
By Thomas on 11/06/05 23:44 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck an 18th birthday gift. I love it. It's small enough to be nimble and easy to handle in tight areas and mountain roads, yet I still sit high enough to see everything. I have the 3.0L V6 5 speed manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far, at about 62,00 miles, is a bad starter and a problem with the light sensor. I have the premium sound system and it sounds great! The motor has decent power. It can pull its weight around. The ride isn't quite that of a sedan but the suspension does good offroad. I've but it through quite a bit, and it's held up great. Highly recommend it!

Best one so far
By Andrew O on 09/05/05 11:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is now my second Ranger in four years and by far this is is the best one.

Nice Truck, but no 4WD
By bluebeaucoup on 09/05/05 09:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used last year and have been very happy with it since. Have the flex-fuel 3.0 V6, runs good, but a little short on power. Got the 4 door SuperCab,which is great. Also 6 CD player. Only complaint is no 4WD. Slid around in the snow last winter. Also, runs on ethanol, but I can't get it where I live, so I'm going to upgrade to the 4.0 4WD SuperCab soon. Overall, worth the investment for the money. Great little truck!

Decent
By Zachattack on 08/11/05 23:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Other than a starter going out I have had absolutely no problems with it. I'd recommend it for a teenager.

Great little truck
By Bob L on 08/02/05 21:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st truck I ever owned. Bought to make trips to Home Depot. I love the truck, never had any problems. I've loaded this truck to its limit with mulch and fertilizer and the 4 cylinder engine had plenty of power.

It's improved
By george on 07/30/05 20:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced a '94 4.0L Ranger with 175,000 miles on it with this one purchased used from a dealership a year ago. This one has the same excellent build quality as the '94, and the 4.0L engine power is much improved. I would not own one without the 4.0L engine. Mileage was a surprise, easily averaging 22/23 mpg on trips and 17 in town. The rear doors creaked over bumps, but a simple single wrap of electrical tape over the hinge connection points eliminated that.

Like this truck
By X-Style on 07/18/05 03:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had the truck two years so far. No problems. It's an everyday driver, minimal issues "mysterious knock when in reverse". Everyone likes the looks and I like to drive it. Very comfy inside. I am a big guy and have no problems. I have even slept in the truck a couple of times, but don't try to climb behind the seats. My only regret with this truck is that i did not buy the 4x4. I would not use the 4x4 much, but it is nice to have when you need it. This truck in much bigger than the old Rangers. You sit high, nice clearance, good handling, great acceleration, but you do feel pot holes and speed bump. If you buy this truck you will like it.

like my 2003 Ranger
By cookie on 04/20/05 21:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had a "98 4 cylinder manual Ranger before this. It had 135k on it but decided to purchase another Ranger after test driving other brands. This truck drives tight, very GOOD suspension. Nice engine response. Extended cab & CD player. 15" tires are an improvement MPG is around 20-23. A main reason to buy was that my wife said the seats were comfortable to her back (she is picky) & she could view the road well.