Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great little truck
By rubydist

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Now approaching 120,000 miles, and all I've had to do is brakes, clutch, and 2 iac valves for repairs. It has very comfortable cab, seats and controls, with lots of creature comforts. It handles well and rides well - as much like a sporty car as a truck, yet it can haul a good-sized load. I'm getting between 19 and 20 mpg in mixed use driving. The 4-door cab is an excellent feature, making it much easier to get stuff in and out of the back of the cab. Overall, an excellent small pickup.

The driving experience is excellent - not too large, not too small, and handles very well.

It could use an automatic temperature control system, so the driver doesn't have to mess with the temp control. And, of course fuel economy could be better.

I love it
By jeff 1

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

I love the styling. Looks great, sits high. I'm 6'2" 155# with long legs. I fit. Lots of leg room for a thin guy

Wish it had a better 5th gear ratio but it is nice for accelerating. Also thanks for not having that stupid shift light, aka idiot light

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

The Edge package, V6 engine, tow package, and the interior room.

Needs bench seat instead of 60/40, needs door pocket holders for guns, pens, Kleenex etc. Other than that I have 80,000 miles and no problems yet, other than regular maintenance.

My Ranger is the best
By Jnmrb

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got a great deal on my used Ranger 4 years ago and have replaced 4 tires and brakes and wiper blades and that's all. There is no broken trim etc. like you would expect on a 5 year old vehicle. It is very confortable ride for a truck. It get's about 18 mpg city and 22 highway. Not the best but ok for a truck. My teenage boys aren't embarassed to be seen riding in it and even want to drive it. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My mechanic told me to let him know when I'm ready to sell it.

Reliablility, good looking exterior design, locking partitioned toneau cover.

I think my brakes will need to be replaced again soon and I think 2 brake jobs in 5 years is pretty excessive

Would buy it again.
By Roady

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My third Ranger. A dependable truck, gets maybe 21 on the highway, never had a problem with it and has 68,000 miles now. I would buy it again.

Cold AC in Vegas, great visibility, still looks like new.

Adjustable alignment parts in front end.