2003 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ranger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Sort Reviews by

Exceptional Value
By Fudge

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for a part time job that I had delivering lost airport luggage to passengers. It was perfect for that. Good gas mileage, load carrying capacity, reliable, etc. Since then I've used it as a work truck for construction sites. It has good off road capability. When I moved from a townhouse, I used this vehicle to haul "everything". I do mean everything, sofa's, big screen tvs, tables, beds. I have a five speed that's been good on gas. I've added side step bars, and a cab. This is a very nice looking truck that looks more expensive than it costs. Very happy with it.

Favorite Features

The Edge looks like a 4wd and everyone assumes it is. I have a 5 speed and Leer cap for weight on the rear wheels so 4wd is not needed. The truck handles so much better with the extra weight of the cab. The front fascia with the fog lights give a real sporty look. Has an excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Does have wheel hop, suspension just a bit tight in the rear. Should come with a bed liner out of the dealership, since the rear scratches so easily. Original equipment Goodyear Wranglers are terrible for a vehicle of this type. Got rid of them before 15000 miles, and replaced them with All Terrain tires.

Great for the price!
By Thomas

I got this truck an 18th birthday gift. I love it. It's small enough to be nimble and easy to handle in tight areas and mountain roads, yet I still sit high enough to see everything. I have the 3.0L V6 5 speed manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far, at about 62,00 miles, is a bad starter and a problem with the light sensor. I have the premium sound system and it sounds great! The motor has decent power. It can pull its weight around. The ride isn't quite that of a sedan but the suspension does good offroad. I've but it through quite a bit, and it's held up great. Highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

Exterior style, premium sound system, agility for a truck, good power to price ratio. Engine has a nice rumble to it at high rpm's.

Suggested Improvements

The usual Ford problems. Problems with the starter and door light sensors. The stock tires are terrible off road and mediocre on road.

Best one so far
By Andrew O

This is now my second Ranger in four years and by far this is is the best one.

Favorite Features

The look is both mean and sporty. The 3.0 is nice. Edge package w/ 4wd stance, thumbs up. Power to weight ratio is awesome for a P/U truck. And you can't beat the price.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any. Nothing that any other vehicle in this price range would actually have.

Great little truck
By Bob L

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st truck I ever owned. Bought to make trips to Home Depot. I love the truck, never had any problems. I've loaded this truck to its limit with mulch and fertilizer and the 4 cylinder engine had plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Nice radio, A/C works fine.

Suggested Improvements

Little more room behind the seats in standard cab. Longer service interval, 5,000 miles between oil changes too soon.

oil leak
By judy

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have had my truck into the shop 3 times for a leak first they told me there was none then they said it was the rear seal then they told me the oil filter was not tight enough ... for 2 years i dont think so i think it is the oil pan which i will fix myself besides the bad experience with the machanic i like my truck , not sure i would buy from that dealership again

oil leak
By judy

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great Truck Overall
By Zach M.

Bought this truck as my first new car. Best compact pickup, overall am very pleased with everything. Opt for a 6 cylinder, cause the 4 has no power and lacks great gas mileage. Paint quality isnt very good either. But am overall pleased with the vehicle is fun to drive and looks great with the XLT Appearance package(chrome grill and wheels). Still too new to tell overall reliability!

Favorite Features

Chrome wheels and grill. Interior scheme, with platinum faced gauges and black seats with gray inserts match the silver paint great.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior Paint, fuel economy, and overall build quality.

I like it!
By uncle fud

3.0 liter engine is peppy and coupled with the 4.10 rear end can lead to some surprising performance. Gas mileage hovers around 20 mpg. I am well pleased with the Ranger in all respects.

Favorite Features

The large stance of the truck, much like a 4wd and the overall looks are my favorites. Not to mention that acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine upgrades less expensive. Why would a 4.0 cost a thousand more than a 3.0?

Safe to wreck!
By ill_iterate

I was envolved in a bad collision. A lady in a civic tried to cross the street while I was doing 55mph...So? The Civic is gone to automobile heaven, and that truck was fixed and still runs great! Just a small bend in the frame! This truck is stout, but get the 4.0 because my 3.0 is lacking power.

Favorite Features

Looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.0 needs more than 150bhp. Otherwise nothing!

Not bad
By BSmith

I'm not crazy about my Ranger. The biggest problem I have is that the 3.0 liter engine is underpowered. I would suggest buying the larger engine.

Favorite Features

Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

More interior amenities.