Used 2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

The Edge package, V6 engine, tow package, and the interior room.

Needs bench seat instead of 60/40, needs door pocket holders for guns, pens, Kleenex etc. Other than that I have 80,000 miles and no problems yet, other than regular maintenance.

Would buy it again.
By Roady

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My third Ranger. A dependable truck, gets maybe 21 on the highway, never had a problem with it and has 68,000 miles now. I would buy it again.

Cold AC in Vegas, great visibility, still looks like new.

Adjustable alignment parts in front end.

Nice
By 03

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

Looks great, stock 6-cd changer, easy to keep interior clean

A tough little truck
By Engineer

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Ranger with the 3.0 V6 Auto trans now has 240,000 miles. I follow the 3k oil changes and keep it serviced. It is as tough as nails. It averages 19MPG. It lacks on tow ability but will tow a 4x8 box trailer without any issues. The heater cores are prone to leak, mine has been replaced twice. I have also had to replace the radiator. If you're tall, the cab is a bit cramped. But for the money...you can't go wrong. These are tough trucks. It has never leaked any oil nor has it ever knocked. FYI... these little motors run hot, if you buy one with miles on it, be sure to replace belts and plug wires as they heat crack quickly and this is often overlooked.

It's just a tough little truck and far more reliable than the S10 or Dakota as I have owned both. These trucks are priced fair and are a safe buy for a good work or sport vehicle. Best feature is you can't really tell a 1999 from a 2007 with the exception of the grill.

The body design is dated, can't hide the fact that this is the same body since 1995 however the drive line and suspension have been updated. more leg room for tall drivers. Easier access to the heater core. it's about $550 to replace at the dealer.

Good Little Truck
By MacDisciple

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good little truck that does what I ask of it. It is not comfortable, it is underpowered, and there are few amenities, but if you're looking for something inexpensive to do your light dirty work, it is a good choice. I wouldn't purchase it for daily driving or heavy towing.

There are no features...maybe the two cup holders by the gear shift.

None; just keep it dependable and inexpensive.