Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great little truck
By LMK

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck continues to amaze myself and those around me. I use this truck at work all day every day. (I work in construction) It is always hauling machines, tools, supplies and debris of all sorts. This truck is slow, gutless and outdated, yet it is the most reliable and affordable vehicle I've ever owned. It gets great fuel economy. (25 city and 31 highway if you baby it) I've had one check engine light in this truck~ caused by a rotted vacuum line. This one repair cost me all of $.89 to repair. Other than regular upkeep, that's all I've put into her. I have no complaints and would love to purchase another.. soon.

Favorite Features

I love the vinyl bench seat, and rubber floors. It almost cleans itself~ nothing sticks to this stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt wheel should be standard. I'm fairly tall and my knees are often in contact with the wheel. Stiffer rear springs would be wonderful. Having a standard sliding rear window would help enhance comfort.

love my truck
By sparkeyjr

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

5sp. which apparently is rare in this configuration. came with a shell. I live in CA where we instantly lose 3+ mpg once we enter the state so I average around 15. Out of state I get around 20. A little stiff for fun off roading. I use it to pull trees and brush out of canyons and generally drag stuff around. I also use it as a sports car and commuter car. For an all around vehicle for someone who does a little of everything this is it. Tight suspension and steering with the BFGs make it scream around corners in the mountains of so cal. Good turning radius and truck width. Great towing rig! The front tow hooks are perfect and get used a lot. My favorite truck!

Favorite Features

Front tow hooks and posi rear end special to the FX4. BFG All Terrains. Rubber floor mats, ergonomics. Tight steering and suspension, towing ability, power and that manual trans under a beautiful black body.

Suggested Improvements

seats could hold better, 20 more lbs of torque would be nice. Lower 4wd low. A little better fuel economy would be nice. The governor shuts the truck down at 93 mph.

2003 Ranger 2wd Extended cab Edge
By Lucas

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck. My last truck was a 1990 Ford Ranger extended cab 2wd, which I drove for 230000 miles with only minor repairs (regular wear and tear). I have been quite pleased with this Ranger as well though I miss the 29 mph highway and 23 city the with the old ranger(average 18 city and 25 hwy with this model). I am glad to see an American built quality truck is still on the road.

Favorite Features

manual transmission, extended cab

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy, forward facing rear seats

03 ranger
By avgtom

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 03 Ford Ranger is a compact truck, so do not compare it to a full size or wish it had a crew cab with a 8 foot bed. If these are the things you are looking for then the ranger is not the truck for you as a matter of fact no compact truck is right for you. I am so tired of reading review after review saying the truck is to small, wish it had a V8, wish it had a crew cab, or that it had a larger towing and load capacity. The truck is a great truck for a compact. It does alright on fuel and I have hauled my fair share of loads without any problems. The truck is comfortable if your not 7 ft tall and weigh 400lb.

Favorite Features

great little truck for light loads, road trips, 4 wheeling. there is nothing better than to drive your truck to any trail, drive the trail and then drive it home. Great Truck. Do Not Compare To A Full Size.

Suggested Improvements

update the 5 speed manual transmission.

Built Ford Tough!
By DJ

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in Feb. of 2009 with just over 30,000 miles on it. In the 4 months I have had it i have put 5,000 on it. I love the 4.0 v6 and the 5spd manual transmission it has great up and go. Gas mileage is great for a truck I average 16 in the city and an amazing 20-23mpg. I love the FX4 package and the stepside bed.

Favorite Features

Mach sound system, FX4, shift on fly 4x4, completely optioned out,

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really