2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore on 06/01/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

Great truck
By SteelCandy on 01/25/09 09:46 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have driven many trucks in all sizes and the 2003 Ranger Supercab XLT is one of the best small trucks I have been in. When I had it in for tires, oil change and inspection, they gave me a loaner truck, a Nissan Frontier. It was a few years newer and had 80,000 less miles on it, but I still thought my old Ranger was so much better that I drove back to the dealer and waited for mine. Only 2 small trucks I have driven have come close to my 2003 Ranger, the 1st was almost as good and was my 94 Ranger. The other was a 2002 S10. None of the import trucks I have been in have been anywhere near as good.

Great little truck
By rubydist on 08/20/08 21:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Now approaching 120,000 miles, and all I've had to do is brakes, clutch, and 2 iac valves for repairs. It has very comfortable cab, seats and controls, with lots of creature comforts. It handles well and rides well - as much like a sporty car as a truck, yet it can haul a good-sized load. I'm getting between 19 and 20 mpg in mixed use driving. The 4-door cab is an excellent feature, making it much easier to get stuff in and out of the back of the cab. Overall, an excellent small pickup.

I love it
By jeff 1 on 07/15/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003 on 06/21/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

My Ranger is the best
By Jnmrb on 05/02/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got a great deal on my used Ranger 4 years ago and have replaced 4 tires and brakes and wiper blades and that's all. There is no broken trim etc. like you would expect on a 5 year old vehicle. It is very confortable ride for a truck. It get's about 18 mpg city and 22 highway. Not the best but ok for a truck. My teenage boys aren't embarassed to be seen riding in it and even want to drive it. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My mechanic told me to let him know when I'm ready to sell it.

Would buy it again.
By Roady on 03/19/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My third Ranger. A dependable truck, gets maybe 21 on the highway, never had a problem with it and has 68,000 miles now. I would buy it again.

Nice
By 03 on 02/20/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

Awesome little truck
By Doug on 02/20/08 14:42 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love driving this truck. I would have liked to have a 5 speed, but circumstances at the time dictated that I take what I could get. My last truck was a F-250 with lock out hubs. I love this truck that all you have to do is turn a switch and you're in 4WD. With the off road package, its a little rough on fuel, but not the worst that I've seen.

Not the best out there but...
By fordguy1212 on 12/16/07 13:17 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

These Rangers are great work horse trucks. I've had the bed absolutely loaded with asphalt, concrete, stone etc. and the Ranger handles it well. The 4.0L motor seems good enough for the trucks size, not very peppy though and drinks gas like no tomorrow(comparable to a newer silverado 5.3L). My complaint is the front brakes. They constantly squeal, and have a ridiculous amount of brake dust coming from them. Even on replacement with after market parts the problem has not gone away. I find it to be a serious design flaw. Overall it's a reliable truck that I use often and it seems to be holding up well.