2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
My First Pickup Truck
By JerseyKev on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is very,very clean and fun to drive. I bought the 4 cyl.,so,the power is a little lax.Next time,I'm going to get one with 4 wheel drive,simply because typically,pickups have no rear weight,and it can be a real hassle in the snow and ice.The interior is quite tight,but I only use it for back and forth to work,so it doesn't really matter.But,I really love the way it looks.It is easily the best looking pickup on the road,and has Fords'reputation for solid trucks.

Alright Value
By Blake Rickels on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I think they are alright for the money. It doesnt do anything great but it does do it. It will get you there and back. If your looking for a great all around truck I wouldnt choose it as the one.

Mostly happy, but want 3.0 Liter not 4.0
By Bluesideup on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm generally pleased. Gas mileage with the 4 liter is 16.5 to 17.5. Having come from a Toyota 4WD, I'm used to 22mpg, and would have prefered the 3 liter engine. Unfortunately, Ford stopped offering the 3 liter in 4WD. No problems in 8 months, but the heater/AC still smells. Ford's bedliner needs rework on the rear slots for 2x6 partitions. The rear ones are completely enclosed by siderails and stiffener ribs. If the 2x6 is short enough to clear the ribs, it will also fall out. Changing the oil filter is a pain. Bucket seats are great. Upgraded stereo better than expected. No recirc option on the heat/AC. 2002 model.

Edge
By Edge Ranger on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best truck I have ever owned, it looks, rides, and sounds great. The 4.0 has allot of power and has been very helpful. I bought this truck in may 2001 and have not had any problems with it. I recomend this truck to who ever is thinking of buying a small size pick up.

Great Trucks (20000
By brabber on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third ranger. And I have only had one little problem with a oil pressure sensor (with 62000 miles). The trucks are solid and never seem to have problems. I have driven thousands of rough miles in Baja Mexico and not had any problems, which is a very good thing when I am in the middle of no where. I have read complaints about dealers fixing problems but I haven't had to take any of mine in.

Ranger 4X4 SuperCab 4-Door FX4-Level II
By TruckLarry on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding initial build quality. Tight, perfect paint, no sqeaks or Rattles. Everything screwed together very well. Cabin layout is near perfect and well designed. Switchgear is tactile and solid. 4.0L V6 has plenty of power and torque. BFG All Terrain KO 10.5X31X15's are superb in the snow. Torsen limited slip is a definite improvement over a standard Limited Slip in the snow. Above tires, wheels and rear are specific to the FX4- Level II package. I have the 5 speed Automatic, which was not listed as an option here on the review site.

The little truck that could do anything
By midnight_stang on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is a great all around vehicle. A daily driver to work, trips to home depot, cargo hauler, contractor truck, off-road fun, this truck can do it all! The design is tested and true, the interior and exterior look and function great. Can't complain about anything. My second Ranger, and each one is as solid as the next.

Recommend
By ucf6515 on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I would definitely recommend this truck. The seats are uncomfortable if you are traveling long distances. The truck is fun to drive, although I would opt for the 4.0 if I could afford it. The 5 speed manual shifts easily, but the clutch took a day or two to get used too.

4.0 SOHC ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Harry Tasker on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased my second Ford Ranger. I test-drove many different models of ranger from the edge to XLT to the FX4 Level II. The level II was the best buy for the money I paid just under $20400 for it by purchasing online. After reading the other reviews it is pretty obvious that you have to buy the 4.0 Liter SOHC SC engine has more power then you need for a compact truck. The sport bucket seats are far more comfortable then the bench seats.

Yet another Ranger
By Texas driver on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is our 7th or so Ranger since 1990. All of our Rangers have given us superb dependability. The Level II is the best yet with very good handling, good power, the extra cab space we wanted, good comfort, and a blast to drive. It has the feel that real sports cars used to. The Level II's handling is noticably better than the regular FX4.