Used 2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2003 Ranger
By Carl Tudor

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Ranger. I had a 1984, 1989, and now a 2003. I have had very little problems with any Ford Ranger including this one. I would buy another Ranger as my next purchase.

Favorite Features

More power than previous modles

Suggested Improvements

Bench seat for 2nd set of seats instead of jump seats. Kids sometimes get banged around in stop and go traffic.

03 ranger
By avgtom

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 03 Ford Ranger is a compact truck, so do not compare it to a full size or wish it had a crew cab with a 8 foot bed. If these are the things you are looking for then the ranger is not the truck for you as a matter of fact no compact truck is right for you. I am so tired of reading review after review saying the truck is to small, wish it had a V8, wish it had a crew cab, or that it had a larger towing and load capacity. The truck is a great truck for a compact. It does alright on fuel and I have hauled my fair share of loads without any problems. The truck is comfortable if your not 7 ft tall and weigh 400lb.

Favorite Features

great little truck for light loads, road trips, 4 wheeling. there is nothing better than to drive your truck to any trail, drive the trail and then drive it home. Great Truck. Do Not Compare To A Full Size.

Suggested Improvements

update the 5 speed manual transmission.

Issues with my 2003 Ford Edge Ranger
By venisonman

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Flairside Edge Ranger in 2003 and it has turned 251,479 miles. I am the original owner. Issues I have had are, idler pulley had to be replaced twice during the warranty period. 6pk CD player quit working after 5yrs. Pass window window began working intermittenly 6yrs ago, seems to be related to the temperature outside, works when cold out and not when hot. Ball joints needed replacing this year. Electric mirrors quit working 4yrs ago. Just this week after an increasingly worsening rough idle condition it was determined that compression is begining to fail and I need some head work. Instead of valve work I have opted for a new long block. I love my Edge Ranger.

Favorite Features

I have owned three other rangers and the Edge Ranger by far has had the best and smoothest ride ever. Even as a 4x2 package. I would not hessitate to purchase another. Problem is Ford is not currently building any flairside Rangers.

Suggested Improvements

Durability of electrical wiring and stero component life expectancy. I was told by the dealer that a condition exsisted not long after 03 regarding the cylinder heads. There was never any recall in place but since that time the heads have been improved upon and the heads are now, to quote the dealer, "bullet proof".

All over again
By Jaydub02

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Ranger. The 4.0 is a huge improvement in power and still gets 20mpg on the highway. I love the 5 speed auto its smooth and quiet. I towed my wifes taurus and had a motorcycle in the bed 350 miles. With the o/d off I still got 13mpg at 65mph on the trip with no problems. 4.0 hauled the 4500+lb payload with aplomb. I am very pleased with my Ranger and would recommend it to anyone who needs a smaller truck.

Favorite Features

Limited slip rear axle 238ft-lbs of torque at 3000rpm. Electronic 4WD. And striking good looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

V-8 option. Keep building the Ranger

Amazing truck!!!
By duropro

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am on my second Ranger now. 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L V6 manual. my old one was a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT Automatic with a 3.0L V6. Neither of them have ever have any problems. I would recommend a Ranger to anyone unsure of what small size pick up they should get. Alot of room in the cab, a good bit of room in the bed. Engine and Tranny on these trucks will last forever. I know some to get over 600K miles. I will always drive my Ranger anywhere and trust it to go wherever I want it to. Completely worth the money. Maintain these trucks and drive them for many many years to come, without ever taking them to the shop.

Favorite Features

The outside design on the trucks is just fun to look at. 6 disk CD changer makes it easy to change CD's without every looking off the road. You can load a decent amount in the bed of the truck, and it won't even strain going up steep hills or mountains.

Suggested Improvements

The inside design hasen't changed at all from 1996 to 2005. In 2006 to 2011, the only thing changed was the steering wheel and speedometer. If they ever start making them in the US again, I hope that changes. Still a good design overall.