Used 2003 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off-Road SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

great ford quality like always
By rtstang98

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have had my (2003 ford ranger fx4 off road package 4.0) since 2005 and havent had 1 problem out of it yet ive towed with it had it offroad alot ive put this little truck threw it all and had never let me down once it has 104,000 miles on it now and counting all ive had to do to it is change the oil and transmission fluid regularly and just now put the second set of tires on it and changed the brakes and still runs and drives like new the transmission still shifts smooth its been a great little truck

Favorite Features

has a though engine

Suggested Improvements

wish it had a v8

Built Ford Tough!
By DJ

I bought this truck in Feb. of 2009 with just over 30,000 miles on it. In the 4 months I have had it i have put 5,000 on it. I love the 4.0 v6 and the 5spd manual transmission it has great up and go. Gas mileage is great for a truck I average 16 in the city and an amazing 20-23mpg. I love the FX4 package and the stepside bed.

Favorite Features

Mach sound system, FX4, shift on fly 4x4, completely optioned out,

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really

Great little truck
By rubydist

Now approaching 120,000 miles, and all I've had to do is brakes, clutch, and 2 iac valves for repairs. It has very comfortable cab, seats and controls, with lots of creature comforts. It handles well and rides well - as much like a sporty car as a truck, yet it can haul a good-sized load. I'm getting between 19 and 20 mpg in mixed use driving. The 4-door cab is an excellent feature, making it much easier to get stuff in and out of the back of the cab. Overall, an excellent small pickup.

Favorite Features

The driving experience is excellent - not too large, not too small, and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

It could use an automatic temperature control system, so the driver doesn't have to mess with the temp control. And, of course fuel economy could be better.

All over again
By Jaydub02

This is my second Ranger. The 4.0 is a huge improvement in power and still gets 20mpg on the highway. I love the 5 speed auto its smooth and quiet. I towed my wifes taurus and had a motorcycle in the bed 350 miles. With the o/d off I still got 13mpg at 65mph on the trip with no problems. 4.0 hauled the 4500+lb payload with aplomb. I am very pleased with my Ranger and would recommend it to anyone who needs a smaller truck.

Favorite Features

Limited slip rear axle 238ft-lbs of torque at 3000rpm. Electronic 4WD. And striking good looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

V-8 option. Keep building the Ranger

Decent
By Zachattack

Other than a starter going out I have had absolutely no problems with it. I'd recommend it for a teenager.

Favorite Features

the 4WD and the 4.0L V-6

Suggested Improvements

build it better. move the lock button up. I keep hitting it on accedent when i'm trying to get out of the car. And im not a fat person eihter.