Used 2003 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Most Helpful|
Good Price Solid Truck!
By Mr. Stuffy

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice truck...the $3k back from Ford and dealer $ made the truck a great buy. 5 speed works well with the 3.0 l engine. AC and Heat are fast! So far no problems and it was nice that Ford called twice to make sure all is well. Engine layout is logical and easy to access from top and bottom. No wind noice....very strong method of securing the window.

Favorite Features

Good build, great price, 5-speed auto, air, cd-player

Suggested Improvements

heated back glass, softer arm rest/storage unit.

Ranger still #1
By ranger fan

If you are tall like me, the supercab is the way to go. Even with the seats all the way back you still have plenty of room to fit a suitcase or groceries with ease. However, it isn't very comfortable for an adult...Children fit nicely though. The acceleration is very nice! Merging into busy traffic or passing that slow driver in the fast lane isn't as nerve racking as driving in a 4 cylinder would be. Great buy!!!

Favorite Features

Roomy (Great for tall people) Good power options (windows, locks, mirrors) Standard V6 engine in the supercab. Nice exterior Comfortable ride. Anti Theft system Fun to drive, nice feel.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage Standard side air bags Standard "third door" to make it easier to get in and out of back.

A good balance of features and cost
By ranger1

This is my second Ranger, went with the extended cab and 3.0L V-6 vs the previous 4 banger and standard cab. Surprised at the improvement in acceleration. Always like the steering and suspension. Extended cab is the only way to go, learned that fact the hard way. Got the truck with a $4K rebate, that really sealed the deal. The XLT package added numerous features, this truck came with power everything, included keyless entry. Ford also had a good deal on an extended warranty, added three more years at 72K miles for around $1,300. No problems to date.

Favorite Features

Steering response, ride quality and extra space the extended cab provides. Looks good from any angle, easy to drive and fits in a standard parking space and our crowded garage. A/C works fast, a critical need in Florida. Still too new to rate MPG.

Suggested Improvements

A K&N air filter should be standard equipment, that would improve engine response at low speeds. Add a locking tailgate, move the radio controls away from the gear selector, partially obstructed when in drive. Provide four keys at the point of sale.

My Second Ranger
By bigdkmgcee

This is my second ranger. The first 1998 Ranger XLT took a pretty good side/front impact at about 50 mph from a C Tahoe and the airbags deployed and everything was fine.(My poor ranger was totaled). I did not plan on buying another ranger, but I went to my local ford dealership and the first one I saw was a Ranger Edge 3 litre(BRIGHTE RED w/5 speed auto).I Love It.

Favorite Features

5 Speed Automatic transmission.Previous model was a manual.Bad news in traffic. Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges. 2.3 ltr M 5 spd to 3.0.ltr A 5 spd.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better shocks.Maybe a stiffer front torsion bar. Overall I like my Ranger and am going to by an Edge for my wife to replace an aging but still very quick and agile '97 Dodge Neon.(70,000 miles)