Used 2003 Ford Ranger Edge Plus SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Issues with my 2003 Ford Edge Ranger
By venisonman

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Flairside Edge Ranger in 2003 and it has turned 251,479 miles. I am the original owner. Issues I have had are, idler pulley had to be replaced twice during the warranty period. 6pk CD player quit working after 5yrs. Pass window window began working intermittenly 6yrs ago, seems to be related to the temperature outside, works when cold out and not when hot. Ball joints needed replacing this year. Electric mirrors quit working 4yrs ago. Just this week after an increasingly worsening rough idle condition it was determined that compression is begining to fail and I need some head work. Instead of valve work I have opted for a new long block. I love my Edge Ranger.

Favorite Features

I have owned three other rangers and the Edge Ranger by far has had the best and smoothest ride ever. Even as a 4x2 package. I would not hessitate to purchase another. Problem is Ford is not currently building any flairside Rangers.

Suggested Improvements

Durability of electrical wiring and stero component life expectancy. I was told by the dealer that a condition exsisted not long after 03 regarding the cylinder heads. There was never any recall in place but since that time the heads have been improved upon and the heads are now, to quote the dealer, "bullet proof".

Good Truck
By FelBrown

I just got this truck four months ago. I would say to go with the 4.0L instead of the 3.0L because my least favorite part of my truck is the 3.0L. I came from having a 4.3L and I am used to the power; going to a 3.0L was a little disappointing. Other than that, this is the best truck I have ever owned. It is very dependable and stylish.

Favorite Features

1) No carpet on the floors. 2) Flex Fuel system 3) Comfort of the seats 4) Reliability 5) THE EXTERIOR DESIGN.

Suggested Improvements

I would say not to degrade the quality of this truck with a 3.0L. It definitely deserves more power than that. I think people would be willing to pay for that extra power.

Nice Truck, but no 4WD
By bluebeaucoup

I purchased this vehicle used last year and have been very happy with it since. Have the flex-fuel 3.0 V6, runs good, but a little short on power. Got the 4 door SuperCab,which is great. Also 6 CD player. Only complaint is no 4WD. Slid around in the snow last winter. Also, runs on ethanol, but I can't get it where I live, so I'm going to upgrade to the 4.0 4WD SuperCab soon. Overall, worth the investment for the money. Great little truck!

Favorite Features

4 door SuperCab, 6 CD player.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the jump seat area, or a single rear fold up seat like the Dakota has.

I don't know
By Peterpan

I think that this model of thee Ford Ranger is a very good and smooth driving minipickup truck.

Favorite Features

The sunroof.The extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Did I Make the Wrong Choice?
By CraigS

Since our son will be the primary driver; we got the 3.0 V-6 not the 4.0. The 3.0 runs really rough at idle, took it back to the dealer, they said that is normal. The service manager recommended we go with the 4.0 next time, not what I wanted to hear, since I just bought the truck. So before you buy, make sure the engine has a smooth idle, or you are going to live with it! Other the engine concerns, we like the truck, carries two MX bikes with ease

Favorite Features

MP3 player, plastic floor mats are easy to clean

Suggested Improvements

3.0 engine idle, feels like it is missing.