Used 2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

A lot of bang for the small truck buck!!!
By BillD

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Tremor Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 4 door super cab tremor edition edge ranger since it was new. The truck rides like a Cadillac on the highway and it ain't so bad on a dirt road. I've owned S10s with the Vortec 4.3 litre V6 and I swear I don't see a lot of difference in my Rangers 3.0 power plant. The truck will pull a heavier load that the S10s ever thought of. The sport side is just plain sexy to look at and the alloy wheels that came on the truck are good enough that I've never thought about custom wheels for this truck. It hauls what I need it to in the back bed including all my camping gear and 4 Wheeler. I've pulled heavy loads up hills through crappy roads ect and it does a wonderful job. I just rolled 202,000 on the odometer and the only thing I've done to this truck is change the oil, plugs and wires and air filters. It's a little beast of a truck and if you take care of it it'll take care of you. I live in Georgia and I wouldn't be afraid to fire her up and drive to Vegas because I know she will get me home. The only complaint I have is the jump seats in the back. Forget hauling 4 grown ups in the cab but two adults ride in comfort. I!m 6'3" and it fits me well. I highly recommend this truck as a definite buy if you find a good used one. They last forever.

Amazing truck!!!
By duropro

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am on my second Ranger now. 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L V6 manual. my old one was a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT Automatic with a 3.0L V6. Neither of them have ever have any problems. I would recommend a Ranger to anyone unsure of what small size pick up they should get. Alot of room in the cab, a good bit of room in the bed. Engine and Tranny on these trucks will last forever. I know some to get over 600K miles. I will always drive my Ranger anywhere and trust it to go wherever I want it to. Completely worth the money. Maintain these trucks and drive them for many many years to come, without ever taking them to the shop.

The outside design on the trucks is just fun to look at. 6 disk CD changer makes it easy to change CD's without every looking off the road. You can load a decent amount in the bed of the truck, and it won't even strain going up steep hills or mountains.

The inside design hasen't changed at all from 1996 to 2005. In 2006 to 2011, the only thing changed was the steering wheel and speedometer. If they ever start making them in the US again, I hope that changes. Still a good design overall.

great ford quality like always
By rtstang98

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have had my (2003 ford ranger fx4 off road package 4.0) since 2005 and havent had 1 problem out of it yet ive towed with it had it offroad alot ive put this little truck threw it all and had never let me down once it has 104,000 miles on it now and counting all ive had to do to it is change the oil and transmission fluid regularly and just now put the second set of tires on it and changed the brakes and still runs and drives like new the transmission still shifts smooth its been a great little truck

has a though engine

wish it had a v8

Issues with my 2003 Ford Edge Ranger
By venisonman

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Flairside Edge Ranger in 2003 and it has turned 251,479 miles. I am the original owner. Issues I have had are, idler pulley had to be replaced twice during the warranty period. 6pk CD player quit working after 5yrs. Pass window window began working intermittenly 6yrs ago, seems to be related to the temperature outside, works when cold out and not when hot. Ball joints needed replacing this year. Electric mirrors quit working 4yrs ago. Just this week after an increasingly worsening rough idle condition it was determined that compression is begining to fail and I need some head work. Instead of valve work I have opted for a new long block. I love my Edge Ranger.

I have owned three other rangers and the Edge Ranger by far has had the best and smoothest ride ever. Even as a 4x2 package. I would not hessitate to purchase another. Problem is Ford is not currently building any flairside Rangers.

Durability of electrical wiring and stero component life expectancy. I was told by the dealer that a condition exsisted not long after 03 regarding the cylinder heads. There was never any recall in place but since that time the heads have been improved upon and the heads are now, to quote the dealer, "bullet proof".

Great Truck
By Ryan

2003 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger brand new off the lot with 11 miles on it. I'm now up to 62,000 and have only changed fluids and am on my 2nd set of tires. No issues or problems to speak of. I would say the only thing Ford did wrong with this truck is the transmission. It's jerky, clunky, clumsy, and at times feels/sounds like it's going to fall out...yet it hasn't failed yet. The cab is perfect for 2 people, yet the jumper seats in the back work for 2 more on short distances. The bed is just the right size and with the two package, it can pull more than it looks. Off road it feels at home and on the road it drives wonderfully. I love my Ranger!

Small, but beefy. Powerful little truck that handles well on or off road. I love the 4 doors, jumpseat option, and just the right sized bed.

Better transmission (smoother, not so clunky). A full 4-door version might be nice (not the explorer SportTrac).