Used 2003 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great little truck
By LMK

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck continues to amaze myself and those around me. I use this truck at work all day every day. (I work in construction) It is always hauling machines, tools, supplies and debris of all sorts. This truck is slow, gutless and outdated, yet it is the most reliable and affordable vehicle I've ever owned. It gets great fuel economy. (25 city and 31 highway if you baby it) I've had one check engine light in this truck~ caused by a rotted vacuum line. This one repair cost me all of $.89 to repair. Other than regular upkeep, that's all I've put into her. I have no complaints and would love to purchase another.. soon.

Favorite Features

I love the vinyl bench seat, and rubber floors. It almost cleans itself~ nothing sticks to this stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt wheel should be standard. I'm fairly tall and my knees are often in contact with the wheel. Stiffer rear springs would be wonderful. Having a standard sliding rear window would help enhance comfort.

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

Favorite Features

1) Fun-to-drive: zippy engine, sharp handling, easy to maneuver. 2)Low operating costs: cheap on gas, repairs, manintence, and insurance. 3) Comfortable: intuitive ergonomics, more elbow room than most small trucks, good A/C, comfortable cloth coutour seats, easy-to clean vinyl floors.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is apt to ping, and the 5-speed auto sometimes hunts for the right gear. I'll get a new Ranger when Ford offers a plug-in hybrid version. And a crew cab? The only small crewcab Ford offers is the Explorer SportTrac. It would be cheaper to buy 2 basic Rangers than to buy 1 of those.

Nice
By 03

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

Favorite Features

Looks great, stock 6-cd changer, easy to keep interior clean

oil leak
By judy

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have had my truck into the shop 3 times for a leak first they told me there was none then they said it was the rear seal then they told me the oil filter was not tight enough ... for 2 years i dont think so i think it is the oil pan which i will fix myself besides the bad experience with the machanic i like my truck , not sure i would buy from that dealership again

oil leak