2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
All i can ask for
By mrfixit1993 on 07/22/12 17:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got this truck for my 18th birthday/ graduation gift. i love it i drove a 95 s10 for a year befor loved the s10 but the ranger has more power. the only thing i miss is towing we have 2 seadoos together they are about 2300 lbs full of gas the truck pulles them good but not fun going up the boat ramp. only thing i wish is that is was the x cab im 5.10 and my head hits the roof and the seat rubs the back window. 5 speed trans could shift better. i get about 21mpgs doing 80 no ac with ac i get like 18 i miss the 20 gallon tank the s10 had. i have put mine through hell and just keeps going change the oil every 3500 miles only problem i had is the thermostat ($150) other then that fine.

Great little truck
By LMK on 08/27/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck continues to amaze myself and those around me. I use this truck at work all day every day. (I work in construction) It is always hauling machines, tools, supplies and debris of all sorts. This truck is slow, gutless and outdated, yet it is the most reliable and affordable vehicle I've ever owned. It gets great fuel economy. (25 city and 31 highway if you baby it) I've had one check engine light in this truck~ caused by a rotted vacuum line. This one repair cost me all of $.89 to repair. Other than regular upkeep, that's all I've put into her. I have no complaints and would love to purchase another.. soon.

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore on 06/01/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

I love it
By jeff 1 on 07/15/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003 on 06/21/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

Would buy it again.
By Roady on 03/19/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My third Ranger. A dependable truck, gets maybe 21 on the highway, never had a problem with it and has 68,000 miles now. I would buy it again.

Nice
By 03 on 02/20/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

A tough little truck
By Engineer on 02/28/07 18:10 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Ranger with the 3.0 V6 Auto trans now has 240,000 miles. I follow the 3k oil changes and keep it serviced. It is as tough as nails. It averages 19MPG. It lacks on tow ability but will tow a 4x8 box trailer without any issues. The heater cores are prone to leak, mine has been replaced twice. I have also had to replace the radiator. If you're tall, the cab is a bit cramped. But for the money...you can't go wrong. These are tough trucks. It has never leaked any oil nor has it ever knocked. FYI... these little motors run hot, if you buy one with miles on it, be sure to replace belts and plug wires as they heat crack quickly and this is often overlooked.

Good Little Truck
By MacDisciple on 07/15/06 05:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good little truck that does what I ask of it. It is not comfortable, it is underpowered, and there are few amenities, but if you're looking for something inexpensive to do your light dirty work, it is a good choice. I wouldn't purchase it for daily driving or heavy towing.

Good Starter Car
By Adam on 12/29/05 15:22 PM (PST)

Great for a light/work truck. Never any mechanical problems in first 60K miles. CD changer went out in first 20K. Some dash instruments cheaply assembled, e.g. knobs broke off/snapped. Fuel economy was not as efficient as expected. Poor for V6.