Used 2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

All i can ask for
By mrfixit1993

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got this truck for my 18th birthday/ graduation gift. i love it i drove a 95 s10 for a year befor loved the s10 but the ranger has more power. the only thing i miss is towing we have 2 seadoos together they are about 2300 lbs full of gas the truck pulles them good but not fun going up the boat ramp. only thing i wish is that is was the x cab im 5.10 and my head hits the roof and the seat rubs the back window. 5 speed trans could shift better. i get about 21mpgs doing 80 no ac with ac i get like 18 i miss the 20 gallon tank the s10 had. i have put mine through hell and just keeps going change the oil every 3500 miles only problem i had is the thermostat ($150) other then that fine.

easy to reach everything on the dash 21mpgs never let me down

could use more power with ac on

Great little truck
By LMK

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck continues to amaze myself and those around me. I use this truck at work all day every day. (I work in construction) It is always hauling machines, tools, supplies and debris of all sorts. This truck is slow, gutless and outdated, yet it is the most reliable and affordable vehicle I've ever owned. It gets great fuel economy. (25 city and 31 highway if you baby it) I've had one check engine light in this truck~ caused by a rotted vacuum line. This one repair cost me all of $.89 to repair. Other than regular upkeep, that's all I've put into her. I have no complaints and would love to purchase another.. soon.

I love the vinyl bench seat, and rubber floors. It almost cleans itself~ nothing sticks to this stuff.

Tilt wheel should be standard. I'm fairly tall and my knees are often in contact with the wheel. Stiffer rear springs would be wonderful. Having a standard sliding rear window would help enhance comfort.

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

1) Fun-to-drive: zippy engine, sharp handling, easy to maneuver. 2)Low operating costs: cheap on gas, repairs, manintence, and insurance. 3) Comfortable: intuitive ergonomics, more elbow room than most small trucks, good A/C, comfortable cloth coutour seats, easy-to clean vinyl floors.

Engine is apt to ping, and the 5-speed auto sometimes hunts for the right gear. I'll get a new Ranger when Ford offers a plug-in hybrid version. And a crew cab? The only small crewcab Ford offers is the Explorer SportTrac. It would be cheaper to buy 2 basic Rangers than to buy 1 of those.

I love it
By jeff 1

2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

I love the styling. Looks great, sits high. I'm 6'2" 155# with long legs. I fit. Lots of leg room for a thin guy

Wish it had a better 5th gear ratio but it is nice for accelerating. Also thanks for not having that stupid shift light, aka idiot light

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

The Edge package, V6 engine, tow package, and the interior room.

Needs bench seat instead of 60/40, needs door pocket holders for guns, pens, Kleenex etc. Other than that I have 80,000 miles and no problems yet, other than regular maintenance.