Used 2003 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Level II Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great Truck
By Ryan

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger brand new off the lot with 11 miles on it. I'm now up to 62,000 and have only changed fluids and am on my 2nd set of tires. No issues or problems to speak of. I would say the only thing Ford did wrong with this truck is the transmission. It's jerky, clunky, clumsy, and at times feels/sounds like it's going to fall out...yet it hasn't failed yet. The cab is perfect for 2 people, yet the jumper seats in the back work for 2 more on short distances. The bed is just the right size and with the two package, it can pull more than it looks. Off road it feels at home and on the road it drives wonderfully. I love my Ranger!

Favorite Features

Small, but beefy. Powerful little truck that handles well on or off road. I love the 4 doors, jumpseat option, and just the right sized bed.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission (smoother, not so clunky). A full 4-door version might be nice (not the explorer SportTrac).

love my truck
By sparkeyjr

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

5sp. which apparently is rare in this configuration. came with a shell. I live in CA where we instantly lose 3+ mpg once we enter the state so I average around 15. Out of state I get around 20. A little stiff for fun off roading. I use it to pull trees and brush out of canyons and generally drag stuff around. I also use it as a sports car and commuter car. For an all around vehicle for someone who does a little of everything this is it. Tight suspension and steering with the BFGs make it scream around corners in the mountains of so cal. Good turning radius and truck width. Great towing rig! The front tow hooks are perfect and get used a lot. My favorite truck!

Favorite Features

Front tow hooks and posi rear end special to the FX4. BFG All Terrains. Rubber floor mats, ergonomics. Tight steering and suspension, towing ability, power and that manual trans under a beautiful black body.

Suggested Improvements

seats could hold better, 20 more lbs of torque would be nice. Lower 4wd low. A little better fuel economy would be nice. The governor shuts the truck down at 93 mph.

03 ranger
By avgtom

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 03 Ford Ranger is a compact truck, so do not compare it to a full size or wish it had a crew cab with a 8 foot bed. If these are the things you are looking for then the ranger is not the truck for you as a matter of fact no compact truck is right for you. I am so tired of reading review after review saying the truck is to small, wish it had a V8, wish it had a crew cab, or that it had a larger towing and load capacity. The truck is a great truck for a compact. It does alright on fuel and I have hauled my fair share of loads without any problems. The truck is comfortable if your not 7 ft tall and weigh 400lb.

Favorite Features

great little truck for light loads, road trips, 4 wheeling. there is nothing better than to drive your truck to any trail, drive the trail and then drive it home. Great Truck. Do Not Compare To A Full Size.

Suggested Improvements

update the 5 speed manual transmission.

Great truck for the money
By jsm131

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First small pickup I have ever owned. Good performance on the highway and on twisty mountain roads. Have not taken it off-road. Mine is a 5-speed manual. Good shifting, smooth clutch and excellent take-off with the 4.10 rear end. Actually could use a better fifth gear ratio. 5th is a little too close to 4th for long highway driving.

Favorite Features

Alcoa rims and BF Goodrich tires. The use of the stainless trim around the shift and x-fer case stalks

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy and better 5th gear overdrive ratio, turns more than 2500 rpms and 65 mph.

FX4 level II Ranger-Top of it's class!
By Mike Wright

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my FX4 level II Ranger back in January of 2003. I have 13,000 miles on it so far and it still drives like the day I bought it. I love this truck so much I can't stay out of it. the power is right there with the 5-speed automatic transmission and the 4:10 gears. My truck also has bucket seats and the ride is just right. This one of the best Rangers ford has ever made!

Favorite Features

Ride height, white faced gages, bucket seats, handling, and the power from the 4.0 SOHC V-6

Suggested Improvements

Make the Mach radio an option for the FX4 Level II