2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
an ok buy
By zachary on 02/09/06 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a Toyota man, but purchased the Ranger whenI was tight on cash. I've had the truck almost three years and have had 2 problems. At 13k, a water hose burst. At 55K the inertia switch shorted out. At 71k engine is still running strong, interior is comfortable, all electrical is functioning properly. My biggest criticism is the brakes. I had the original set replaced around 50k and ever since then they have given me problems. I had three new sets put on between 50k-70k and each worse than the set before. The dealership says they need to be "worn in" but after my extended warranty expired, I've taken my chances and dealt with seems to be a cheap design flaw or careless mechanics

like my 2003 Ranger
By cookie on 04/20/05 21:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had a "98 4 cylinder manual Ranger before this. It had 135k on it but decided to purchase another Ranger after test driving other brands. This truck drives tight, very GOOD suspension. Nice engine response. Extended cab & CD player. 15" tires are an improvement MPG is around 20-23. A main reason to buy was that my wife said the seats were comfortable to her back (she is picky) & she could view the road well.

repair problems
By woody on 01/01/05 09:49 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The truck has to many expensive repair problems. Brakes $950.00, Cluch & slave cylinder $935.00, poor performance engine repair $600. note truck all 3 times was down for 2 to 3 days.

Overrated
By bdoug on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My previous small truck was an '89 Mazda B2200 and I really miss it. At 6'4" I have trouble seeing to my right at crossroads because of the mirror. The gas mileage has been awful. The gas mileage started out around 15 mpg and is at 13 now that I am running the air conditioning. The worst thing, however, has been the bouncing bed. On any road that has bumps, the rear end of the truck bounces all over the road. I took my winter weight and have been driving it around this spring to try to keep the rear wheels on the road.

best small truck-that i've ever owned
By jbc on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

no problems so far,,four wheel drive controls..are easy to use....lot's of power...run's great,,,ride is not bad...but it is bumpie on rough roads..poor gas mileage so far using 87 octane...

nice ranger
By leader on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this new with all the options for a good price. actually paid less than buying a nissan with 4cyl. car is solid. drive very well. i expected a cheap cat and got a gem. for has come a long way in quality. so far no problems and hope i have none.

Don't Buy this Truck
By suckerfish0 on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had a mechanical problem with my truck since the day after I bought it new, and Ford will not take responsibility for the defect. My truck shakes and rattles in idle, so much so that you can see it moving from outside the vehicle. I have had four different dealerships tell me four different reasons for the problem, and ever single one of them refuses to make a repair attempt, even though it is under warranty. I recommend everyone that is thinking of buying a truck to steer clear of a company that will blatantly refuse to take responsibility for a defect that is so obvious.