2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great little truck
By LMK on 08/27/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck continues to amaze myself and those around me. I use this truck at work all day every day. (I work in construction) It is always hauling machines, tools, supplies and debris of all sorts. This truck is slow, gutless and outdated, yet it is the most reliable and affordable vehicle I've ever owned. It gets great fuel economy. (25 city and 31 highway if you baby it) I've had one check engine light in this truck~ caused by a rotted vacuum line. This one repair cost me all of $.89 to repair. Other than regular upkeep, that's all I've put into her. I have no complaints and would love to purchase another.. soon.

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore on 06/01/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

Nice
By 03 on 02/20/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck about a year ago and I do a lot of driving. This has to be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. The power is there when you need it and I love trying to push it as much as possible. Gas miledge is nothing to write home about but getting about 18- 19 with heavy city driving and traffic isn't too bad. Love the visibility, much better then sitting on the ground with my old Tercel.

oil leak
By judy on 01/01/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have had my truck into the shop 3 times for a leak first they told me there was none then they said it was the rear seal then they told me the oil filter was not tight enough ... for 2 years i dont think so i think it is the oil pan which i will fix myself besides the bad experience with the machanic i like my truck , not sure i would buy from that dealership again

oil leak
By judy on 01/01/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Best deal on small truck
By redrodz1 on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Started out wanting a toyota P/u and bought a ford.I test drove all small trucks and the ford for price,fuel economy,style and quality was my choice.Previously owned a nissan and toyota small truck.The ford truck has caught up and surpassed the imports in my mind. Insurance rates and dealer service rates were cheaper too.I like my ford pickup and would recommend it highly.

great truck for the price
By bsbillybob on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have not had the truck long now but so far i love it. it has a lot more power than the chevy s-10 it also rides alot better. i looked for about a month befor finding the deal i was looking for an i test drove alot an i thank the ranger overall is the best deal. p.s. im a chevy guy driveing a ford,something wrong there. chevy needs to step it up a bet. have fun!

2003 Ranger XL 5 Spd 2.3L
By dchinn on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: low price ($9700 OTD), full instrumentation, good mpg cons: low power, slow acceleration, choppy turns and cornering.

CALIF 2003 Ford Ranger Base XL 5 spd
By sfnative1955 on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Vehicle has been a decent set of wheels. Pros - feels solid, full instrumentation (would like numbers on the gauges though), $9800 price after rebates T&L and 30 mpg (60-65 mph). Cons - vinyl seats that are not contoured, middle seat belt can't be hidden when not used, slow acceleration requiring freq downshifts, antenna gets in the way of the wiper when cleaning the windshield and the bed height (depth) is too shallow. Overall, you get a decent truck for light duty use which I had intended. Does have enough power to haul more than a half ton slowly (close to one ton).

Great Truck
By emailjwl on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 2000 Focus this spring for a Ranger. Had heard great reviews on the Focus and had nothing but troubles and recall notices from the start. So much for the "best new car in its class." I needed a truck, but having owned compact cars all my life I didn't want anything too big. I am able to use the Ranger for what I wanted it for; light hauling. It is easy to drive. For a truck it is not an uncomfortale ride. The gas milage has been great (26 mpg). And has already been more reliable than my Focus. The Ranger has been around for many years. It has a good track record. After the Focus fiasco, give me the tried and true.