Used 2003 Ford Ranger Edge Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I love it
By jeff 1

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

Favorite Features

I love the styling. Looks great, sits high. I'm 6'2" 155# with long legs. I fit. Lots of leg room for a thin guy

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a better 5th gear ratio but it is nice for accelerating. Also thanks for not having that stupid shift light, aka idiot light

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

Favorite Features

The Edge package, V6 engine, tow package, and the interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Needs bench seat instead of 60/40, needs door pocket holders for guns, pens, Kleenex etc. Other than that I have 80,000 miles and no problems yet, other than regular maintenance.

Good Starter Car
By Adam

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great for a light/work truck. Never any mechanical problems in first 60K miles. CD changer went out in first 20K. Some dash instruments cheaply assembled, e.g. knobs broke off/snapped. Fuel economy was not as efficient as expected. Poor for V6.

Exceptional Value
By Fudge

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for a part time job that I had delivering lost airport luggage to passengers. It was perfect for that. Good gas mileage, load carrying capacity, reliable, etc. Since then I've used it as a work truck for construction sites. It has good off road capability. When I moved from a townhouse, I used this vehicle to haul "everything". I do mean everything, sofa's, big screen tvs, tables, beds. I have a five speed that's been good on gas. I've added side step bars, and a cab. This is a very nice looking truck that looks more expensive than it costs. Very happy with it.

Favorite Features

The Edge looks like a 4wd and everyone assumes it is. I have a 5 speed and Leer cap for weight on the rear wheels so 4wd is not needed. The truck handles so much better with the extra weight of the cab. The front fascia with the fog lights give a real sporty look. Has an excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Does have wheel hop, suspension just a bit tight in the rear. Should come with a bed liner out of the dealership, since the rear scratches so easily. Original equipment Goodyear Wranglers are terrible for a vehicle of this type. Got rid of them before 15000 miles, and replaced them with All Terrain tires.

Great for the price!
By Thomas

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck an 18th birthday gift. I love it. It's small enough to be nimble and easy to handle in tight areas and mountain roads, yet I still sit high enough to see everything. I have the 3.0L V6 5 speed manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far, at about 62,00 miles, is a bad starter and a problem with the light sensor. I have the premium sound system and it sounds great! The motor has decent power. It can pull its weight around. The ride isn't quite that of a sedan but the suspension does good offroad. I've but it through quite a bit, and it's held up great. Highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

Exterior style, premium sound system, agility for a truck, good power to price ratio. Engine has a nice rumble to it at high rpm's.

Suggested Improvements

The usual Ford problems. Problems with the starter and door light sensors. The stock tires are terrible off road and mediocre on road.