Nice truck, Terrible Fuel Economy
By maxlessca on
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
I've been looking around for my first vehicle for the last 2 years. I really wanted a car, which could tow a 2000lb trailer. I eventually gave up the struggle and bought a Ranger. It was the 4.0L with every option except 4wd. All my friends/ family love it. I was so happy with my purchase... until I started filling it up. It has terrible fuel economy. I'm very light footed and I average 11mpg city and 18mpg highway with cruise on 60mph. (Worst fill-up so far was 9.5mpg) Also, the 6-disc CD changer went on me the first time I put a CD in it. It jammed up on me. I love the towing capabilities and the features (air, cruise, power everything, strong engine), but the fuel economy is terrible.
Favorite Features
Love the features and 4.0L power. Bought the Ranger model with the highest tow rating (5860lbs)and it is very nice to tow with. It fits in tight spaces, yet hauls bigger loads. Much cheaper than a Toyota.
Suggested Improvements
I bought the step-side (mistake) and it is a couple inches shy of 48" wide. I need a trailer to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Fuel economy is hurting me. Coming from a family of Toyota's and Honda's, I hate Ford's transmissions. They need to be refined more.