Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

FX4 Ford's worst truck built
By hwbw

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since 2002 I have put in two master cylinders for the clutch. had the engine blow at 38,000 miles and got no help from Ford at 2,000 miles past warranty. Had poor performance and reliability. Replaced clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder at 43,000 miles due to the slave cylinder welding itself to spline. Also, I have had many problems with the electrical system. You are probably thinking that I beat on this truck and the answer is not at all. I drive less than 2 miles to work and 97% of drive time is on highways on trips around 500 miles. Unless you know how to work on cars plan on a lot of money in maintenance.Think about another brand!

Favorite Features

Not many favorites but the interior is nice, and the extras are also nice, i.e., extra skid plates and upgraded shocks.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! (Found On Road Dead).

2002 Ranger 4x2 Supercab 3.0
By Mongo

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this with 3,000 miles on it, now has 41,000 miles. Except oil and filter changes I've had to do no repairs. Bought a Ford Extended warranty - may have wasted $800.00 on it. Has a manual transmission which shifts effortlessly. Only thing I wish I had was a tilt steering wheel as I'm 6'4" and sometimes my knee knocks the turn signal on.

Favorite Features

The 3.0 liter engine has plenty of power. I tow a small 21 foot bass boat and have had no problems. I love the chrome Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Don't do long trips, used for commuting, hunting/fishing and light hauling. But if you plan to drive long distances do get the tilt wheel/cruise. Also add an option to not have jump seats. I use the extended cab to store equipment, not to haul people and sometimes the seat handles obstruct.

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

Favorite Features

Interior room. Ride quality is great. Sound system is awesome. Fun to drive. Feels like a full size truck.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time. Ford already improved the little that was wrong.

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford Trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None at this time. Ford already improved the little that was wrong.

Love this truck
By love this truck

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 2 Rangers. Over 8 years have had 1 problem with the O2 sensors that cost about $200 dollars and have been places that 4 wheel drive had problems going. This is a good truck.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats; heats very fast then you almost have to cut them off.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the O2 sensors.