Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

First New Car
By Keith

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. I drive twisty, hilly roads a lot and I felt the handling in this truck was very sporty. I love precision of the rack and pinion steering. Only had one significant problem; at 60,000 miles electronic 4 wheel drive module would not switch vehicle into 4x4. Gas mileage was not so great (16.5 mpg) but my truck had 4.10 gears in rear.

Precise steering, great power from V6. Just the right equipment with nothing more.

Extend the cab to allow my children to sit facing forward.

Bullet Proof
By Wayne Halladay

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Ranger; had a '97 with 73,000 miles on the original brakes with 25% left. '02 had an oxygen sensor go at 25,000 covered under warranty. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with cruise set @65+ back doors are still tight at 40,000 miles. Fun truck to drive. Will probably buy another in a few years.

Bullet proof.

25 mpg.

Great value, no frills truck
By bRIAN

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in 2002 for a short distance commuter vehicle. I was looking for an inexpensive truck and the Ranger Edge fit the bill nicely. The truck has had no problems so far, is comfortable, reasonably powerful, and performs light duty hauling nicely. The interior is functional and makes no attempt toward luxury. It's a truck through and through. The A/C and heater perform very well, the transmission shifts smoothly, and the hydraulic clutch is like butter. The brakes are also very good, never showing signs of fading or warping rotors like many others do. After I replaced the stock tires with Michelins, the ride improved greatly as well. Overall, I am extremely pleased.

Rubber floor covering. Hydraulic clutch. ABS. Sliding rear window. Center console.

Improve engine management system for better driveability. Feels like less than 207 HP. If the 4.6l V8 fits in the Explorer, it will also fit in the Ranger. Better tires.

FX4 Ford's worst truck built
By hwbw

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since 2002 I have put in two master cylinders for the clutch. had the engine blow at 38,000 miles and got no help from Ford at 2,000 miles past warranty. Had poor performance and reliability. Replaced clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder at 43,000 miles due to the slave cylinder welding itself to spline. Also, I have had many problems with the electrical system. You are probably thinking that I beat on this truck and the answer is not at all. I drive less than 2 miles to work and 97% of drive time is on highways on trips around 500 miles. Unless you know how to work on cars plan on a lot of money in maintenance.Think about another brand!

Not many favorites but the interior is nice, and the extras are also nice, i.e., extra skid plates and upgraded shocks.

Reliability! (Found On Road Dead).

2002 Ranger 4x2 Supercab 3.0
By Mongo

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this with 3,000 miles on it, now has 41,000 miles. Except oil and filter changes I've had to do no repairs. Bought a Ford Extended warranty - may have wasted $800.00 on it. Has a manual transmission which shifts effortlessly. Only thing I wish I had was a tilt steering wheel as I'm 6'4" and sometimes my knee knocks the turn signal on.

The 3.0 liter engine has plenty of power. I tow a small 21 foot bass boat and have had no problems. I love the chrome Ford.

Don't do long trips, used for commuting, hunting/fishing and light hauling. But if you plan to drive long distances do get the tilt wheel/cruise. Also add an option to not have jump seats. I use the extended cab to store equipment, not to haul people and sometimes the seat handles obstruct.