2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Next time it will be a Toyota
By Mad dog on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am waiting for the second left rear shock to be replaced due to the first two leaking (it only has 8400 miles). The auto trans shifts poorly between the top two gears - dealer says it is O.K.? The engine runs much smoother since I switched to Mobil 1 at 8,200 miles. The 98 S-10 ZR2(53,000 miles)I traded in to get this was a much better truck!

great car
By jonjon on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

i just bought this today and its great, great power, bigger then other small trucks, i am glad i bought it

31's
By shacha on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my '02 Ranger about 6 weeks ago. This is my 3rd ranger in 5 years or so. I just turned in a '99 4x4, 3.0 v6 flare side, for this '02, 4.0, 4x4. What a world of difference that engine makes, add that with the 5 speed automatic. After the firestone tires were replaced with those crappy crappy crappy Goodyear Wrangler RTS's, there was no way in H@!! I would buy another vehicle with those tires. The new one has the 31x10.5 BFG's. Very nice. Overall I'm very satisfied with the engine, transmission, ride, and quality. The ford dealership leaves MUCH to be desired.

This Truck Rocks!
By Fab on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought the truck last week, so this may be premature. My Truck is Metallic Ice Blue (Island Blue is what Ford calls it.) It turns heads everywhere. If you're looking for one of these, you have to get the 4.0L with a Manual 5 speed tranny. I hate automatics. The truck drives and feels like a full size truck. I test drove a Tacoma and the Ranger blows it out of the water.

Ford Fun
By Deez on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought a 4WD 4.0L 5M Ranger and absolutely love it. It has already accumulated 10000 miles! Power is great and probably the best feature of the truck. Sound system is good with the upgraded MP3 player. Complaints, a few: there is a lot of plastic in this truck, the cheesy plastic bedrails need to go (though they are useful in protecting the bed of the truck) and the most annoying thing has to be the speed limiter at 93 MPH. Ford gets a thumbs up for great value and a truck that can smoke the Toyota.

Wahoo, I got a Truck
By Zim on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is powerful and has good torque. Seems to be engine rattle when cold passing through first and second gear.

Good bye
By Ford man U.S.A on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my ranger edge last year and I love it.I really like the performance.I am a competitive person so I like to race here and there and I have to tell you I have friends who have all types of trucks.I never lost to a toyota tacoma 3.4,supercharged nissan,chevy s- 10 or even the 4.7 dodge.They were all equally equipped.The dodge was the closest but still behind,and this is no lie,we all dragged at an NHRA track.Must be the 4.10 gears and 5 spd.auto.also lighter.

1st Ranger a lemon, 2002 Ranger a WIN!
By Old Car Junky on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had a 2000 Ranger 3.0 that was a lemon. We gave Ford one more chance and looked for a 4.0 5-speed automatic to avoid any more problems. We wanted a 4.0 auto (no sloppy long-throw shifting) and power group (8 turn crank windows?). We couldn't find one without dumb bed rails, idiotic step bars, bedliner/tonneau, but finally found one. Drives quietly, muscular amount of pep and more ground clearance than competitors. Rangers are outrageous at MSRP, many dealers are doing $5000 off MSRP, take your pick of 15. We were picky about color and not wanting a stick, After six dealers, we ended up giving $17,500 on a $24,700 MSRP.

Transmision Woes
By fujiman_nb on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on my third, yes third transmission with this vehicle. I had approx. 1200 miles on it when the cap on the transmission cracked and leaked fluid. Ford replaced the whole transmission with a new one. 1000 miles later the same problem again. This time the dealer rebuilt the unit, $1624.00 in parts, and upgraded the cap. I should note that I was not the only one with this problem. Another truck came in the same day as I did with the original problem. They got the same fix and they were back within a week of my second repair for the samething. Gas mileage is poor poor. It is rated for 28 on the highway. I do nothing but highway driving and my average mileage is 20.4

My new ranger FX4
By RedRanger on 03/14/02 11:56 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To start off with I have to say this truck is awesome! I had a 00' Ranger XLT 4x4 and that truck doesn't compare to my new one. With all the features you get with the FX4 package your not left wanting anything more. This is definently the best ranger ever made. I also love the looks I get driving down the road from all the other truck owners, especially since I still haven't seen another FX4 on the road yet anywhere.