Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

good truck
By Gary

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Base model with manual transmission & no extras, which makes me very happy now with the price of gas. My fourth small pickup, and the best by far for comfort, fuel economy and handling. Have not missed the 4 wheel drive at all.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, ABS brakes, fuel economy in high 20's, nice handling truck, base CD sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Longer warranty.

Watch Out For Later
By Matthew...

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger. I bought it, I have loved it, I have taken care of it, and had fun with it. Now I have 65,000 miles on it and problems are getting bigger and more expensive. To start at 30,000 front windows not lining up and had tracks replaced by dealer (still having same problem), next at 40,000 miles, dash light goes out. $2.00 bulb + some absurd amount to install (still not fixed), next driver's side unlock button works when it wants (who knows), now O/D Off light flashes, told transmission needs rebuilt and it wants to skip gears, $1500.00 and this appears to be a known issue. I am now looking at a Nissan and Toyota.

Favorite Features

Alcoa Rims & BFG Tires All Terrain AWESOME! Still on original set.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality parts and fix things when they are a known issue i.e.: O/D light flashing -- transmission part. The suspension is too stiff and makes the truck rear-end jump when hitting pot holes. The seats are nice but comfort could be improved still. I do like the lumbar though.

First New Car
By Keith

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. I drive twisty, hilly roads a lot and I felt the handling in this truck was very sporty. I love precision of the rack and pinion steering. Only had one significant problem; at 60,000 miles electronic 4 wheel drive module would not switch vehicle into 4x4. Gas mileage was not so great (16.5 mpg) but my truck had 4.10 gears in rear.

Favorite Features

Precise steering, great power from V6. Just the right equipment with nothing more.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the cab to allow my children to sit facing forward.

Bullet Proof
By Wayne Halladay

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Ranger; had a '97 with 73,000 miles on the original brakes with 25% left. '02 had an oxygen sensor go at 25,000 covered under warranty. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with cruise set @65+ back doors are still tight at 40,000 miles. Fun truck to drive. Will probably buy another in a few years.

Favorite Features

Bullet proof.

Suggested Improvements

25 mpg.

Great value, no frills truck
By bRIAN

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in 2002 for a short distance commuter vehicle. I was looking for an inexpensive truck and the Ranger Edge fit the bill nicely. The truck has had no problems so far, is comfortable, reasonably powerful, and performs light duty hauling nicely. The interior is functional and makes no attempt toward luxury. It's a truck through and through. The A/C and heater perform very well, the transmission shifts smoothly, and the hydraulic clutch is like butter. The brakes are also very good, never showing signs of fading or warping rotors like many others do. After I replaced the stock tires with Michelins, the ride improved greatly as well. Overall, I am extremely pleased.

Favorite Features

Rubber floor covering. Hydraulic clutch. ABS. Sliding rear window. Center console.

Suggested Improvements

Improve engine management system for better driveability. Feels like less than 207 HP. If the 4.6l V8 fits in the Explorer, it will also fit in the Ranger. Better tires.