Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

It's a great truck
By Ray

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in '02. I now have 140,000 miles on it. It still looks and drives like new. I have only had to do routine maintenance. It was in the shop 1 time for a sensor that went out of range and that was covered by the warranty. All I have had to do is keep the oil changed, brakes, and tires. It's the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The ride and feel of this vehicle hugging the road. Great look.

Suggested Improvements

Find better tires that than the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. They dont stay round or balanced. Gas mileage not the best, 15 to 19mpg.

Not to Shabby.
By CPW

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first truck, reviews from friends and family helped decide to purchase a Ford. Plenty of power down low, sometime you have to really get on it to get up to speed on the highway. <11mpg in town and 18mpg highway>. It's practical for the region I live in. 4wd. The Goodyears aren't too bad but I haven't really heard anything good about them. The windows fog up really fast and that disturbs me. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first truck, hope to have it for many years.

Favorite Features

In-dash 6 disc cd changer and speakers. Lumbar support. 3rd and 4th doors for supercab. Tonneau cover. The boxy style of the body. Motor built in Germany.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate ashtray from under the dash. Stronger armrest.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems. Fix cruise control -- defective from factory. Fix front brakes and install rotors that don't wear completely out in two years. Correct problem with drivers seat that break bolts every few months. Fix windows on both doors that won't seal. Fix back window that rattles.

Good 'lil truck
By CJ

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My ex-wife bought the Ranger in Dec of '02, and decided she didn't like it. I got it in the divorce, and I loved it! With the 4.10 rear axle it pulled like a full size pickup, and with its lighter weight it was quick off the line empty. The only downside was that the 4.10 rear end made it suck fuel like a full size pickup. It took me through mud, snow drifts, and I could pass going uphill with a trailer attached. I'm 6'4" and there is enough leg room for me to be comfortable.

Favorite Features

4.10 rear axle pulls like a much bigger truck, and I could spin the rear tires when it was empty.

Suggested Improvements

If there were a way to Improve the fuel economy, and keep the pulling power I would.

Growing out of my truck
By M. Thoma

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family is growing so unfortunately my truck has to as well. I have said many times that if I did not HAVE to get a new truck I would keep this until it falls apart. And at the rate things are going that could be a long time. I will go through 3 feet of snow while every other full size SUV is spinning their wheels. I have taken it through ditches, over curbs, across the country twice (both times fully loaded) with no problems. It is a truck and the best I have ever driven. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious, no frills, no luxury vehicle that will get the job done every time. P.S. I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine.

Favorite Features

Reliability, dependability, X-Cab is awesome, good ground clearance in the 4x4, has pulled everything I've hooked it to so far.