2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Ranger XLT 2wd 5sp 4cyl
By Roger Vaughan on 02/21/05 02:37 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Very good, reliable, comfortable basic truck. Kind of like pick-up trucks used to be. Not a huge, oversize gas and road hog. Wife says most comfortable seat she has been in. Gas mileage is great, always high 20's to 30.

I love this truck.
By steepndeep on 02/06/05 16:16 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ranger is a great vehicle. It shows that Ford has really stepped up their products since the 80's. I could have paid 1000's more for a less powerful but otherwise equal Toyota. But why would I? Good handling, quiet ride, plenty of power for towing and handling medium loads like jet skis and medium trailers with considerable weight. The only thing I don't like is that something in the interior rattles when I play a song with much base, but I just turn up the music a little and then I don't even hear it.

This is one bad truck
By TINY MARTIN on 01/14/05 15:02 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Man, I owned a 1988 Ranger XLT for 13 years and loved it. Decided to try another Ranger. Got me an Edge 4 dr and love it. It is one bad truck. Powerful engine, smooth ride and great look. I love the styling and the way it sits up. It turns heads and I have really fallen in love with it. The gas mileage is actually better than advertised. I would put this truck against a Toyota Prerunner any day for durability and styling.

My little blue truck
By Bob Hudson on 01/13/05 14:34 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far I have 34,000 miles on this one. Sharp looking truck. Love the styling and sturdy ride. Several issues have been addressed (under warranty, luckily). Fan belt idler pulley, drive shaft, power mirror switch, rear door problems to name a few. Fuel mileage is pretty decent. 18.50 city - 22 hwy. Overall I love my Ranger and intend to keep it for a very long time.

My First Ford Truck
By Dave on 12/19/04 19:35 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck was built with for quality making it affordable and reliable. I use it for my landscaping business and it has never failed me the past 8 months; it has not been in the shop for a single mechanical defect! Comfortable and enough power, but still gets about 21 MPG. This truck is my first car and I would advise anyone who wants a truck for work, buy a Ford, you wont be sorry.

Great Truck
By LTrNr050 on 12/04/04 10:02 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not ever a problem! Great truck to drive. I pull my boat and my four wheeler all the time without even knowing it's back there. You get the same use of the Ranger as you would with a F-150 but with better gas mileage.

2002 Ranger Edge 2DR
By Jeff_N on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice looking truck - one problem I have noticed, and it is wilh all 2000 Ford vehiles. The outside weatherstripping around the windows has "mildew" growing in/on it - every single Ford I see of this age has this problem. I keep my vehicles immaculate, so I consider this to be a nuisance. The truck is fun to drive, and with an overdrive transmission gets pretty good fuel mileage. Plugs are easy to change, as is oil, filter and air filter. Some "squekiness" on start up - sounds like a belt slipping, but I can't figure out where the slip is. Biggest problem - OE tires are junk - Goodyear which develop knots in them just for fun, I guess. Ride is good.

Gas Guage Drops Fast
By sgiersch on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First of all, the truck is beautiful, and I still think it is one of the classiest looking trucks on the road. But when I first got it, I took it back to the dealer for a check because the fuel economy was about 1/2 what was advertised, and there was a noticably rough idle. The service manager put a fuel meter on it and we went for a ride. He claimed the fuel mileage was right on (19) and that the idle was normal. Three more trips back to the shop and I gave up. Other than the square tires, it has been pretty reliable. I would buy again as a second vehicle (would get one with better fuel economy for a first vehicle.

Great little work horse
By jleg on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No major recals or significant shop time on this little truck. The dealerships have been night and day from my chevy. I trade keys for the rental after I describe the problem and that's that. No arguments about weather it's covered or not. I get a call when it's fixed and that is that. Ford dealerships are great. I have yet to come across one in the detroit area that is bad. I have not had the same experience with Chevrolet dealers.

ok truck
By madriver on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was beginning to notice problems at 43,000 miles with front end noises. Did full brake job on front-end at 37,000(rotors and everything - $400!). Terrible fuel economy 14-15 mpg seeing that my new 4Runner gets 25-26 mpg. Decent truck and fun to drive but go with a toyota