Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Not to Shabby.
By CPW

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first truck, reviews from friends and family helped decide to purchase a Ford. Plenty of power down low, sometime you have to really get on it to get up to speed on the highway. <11mpg in town and 18mpg highway>. It's practical for the region I live in. 4wd. The Goodyears aren't too bad but I haven't really heard anything good about them. The windows fog up really fast and that disturbs me. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first truck, hope to have it for many years.

Favorite Features

In-dash 6 disc cd changer and speakers. Lumbar support. 3rd and 4th doors for supercab. Tonneau cover. The boxy style of the body. Motor built in Germany.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate ashtray from under the dash. Stronger armrest.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems. Fix cruise control -- defective from factory. Fix front brakes and install rotors that don't wear completely out in two years. Correct problem with drivers seat that break bolts every few months. Fix windows on both doors that won't seal. Fix back window that rattles.

Good 'lil truck
By CJ

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My ex-wife bought the Ranger in Dec of '02, and decided she didn't like it. I got it in the divorce, and I loved it! With the 4.10 rear axle it pulled like a full size pickup, and with its lighter weight it was quick off the line empty. The only downside was that the 4.10 rear end made it suck fuel like a full size pickup. It took me through mud, snow drifts, and I could pass going uphill with a trailer attached. I'm 6'4" and there is enough leg room for me to be comfortable.

Favorite Features

4.10 rear axle pulls like a much bigger truck, and I could spin the rear tires when it was empty.

Suggested Improvements

If there were a way to Improve the fuel economy, and keep the pulling power I would.

Growing out of my truck
By M. Thoma

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family is growing so unfortunately my truck has to as well. I have said many times that if I did not HAVE to get a new truck I would keep this until it falls apart. And at the rate things are going that could be a long time. I will go through 3 feet of snow while every other full size SUV is spinning their wheels. I have taken it through ditches, over curbs, across the country twice (both times fully loaded) with no problems. It is a truck and the best I have ever driven. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious, no frills, no luxury vehicle that will get the job done every time. P.S. I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine.

Favorite Features

Reliability, dependability, X-Cab is awesome, good ground clearance in the 4x4, has pulled everything I've hooked it to so far.

Another good Ford
By Bill Meana

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Ford Ranger. I upgraded with the options each time. The current vehicle i am driving has the 4 liter engine with the towing package and it handles my 2000 lb boat very well. I will definitely buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Extended cab with 4 doors. Towing package. Power windows and door locks. 4 liter V6 Sand color (doesn't show dirt). 2 jump seats for children.

Suggested Improvements

Larger mirrors with the towing package. Better gas mileage. Back of seat small cargo storage for maps, magazines etc.