Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Lots of trouble
By dckat

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

City mpg is single digits. At only 56K, had to replace right front wheel bearing (cost double since hub assembly had to come off). Air bag sensor has a mind of its own; light is never accurate. Factory recall on cruise control cable. Steering column locks up sometimes until key is jiggled. After running for many hours (on long trips), the six-CD changer wouldn't eject; the new one (replaced under warranty) does the same. Bought new front tires, and gone through two sets of brakes (soon to be three). It sounds like a valve is tapping in the engine, and engine power is less than when new. Water pools inside front door after heavy rain. Driver's window motor seizes up.

We love the stepside body and the reverse opening rear doors. Also the 4WD, and the step bar, and the ability to turn off high gear (it's an automatic). We appreciate the cruise control, the fog lights, and the extra power outlet.

Needs better: windshield wipers, defogging capabilities, CD changer, fuel efficiency, electrical system quality. It could use tougher upholstery, a vanity mirror, and map lights (like the '99). Glove box is awkwardly shaped, roll edge on seats is too thick. Odd engineering makes repairs expensive.

Great work truck
By ARE

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest, or the strongest out there but a good work truck that is a great value. Easy to work on, and maintain.

Reliability. In 5.5 years and 140,000 only problem outside of regular maintenance. Window motor went out last year, replaced it for about $85

Interior ergonomics

Excellent Choice
By Chris

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Ranger Edge to replace my 1999 Mustang because my wife and I needed the cargo space. I could not be more happy with the choice. I have spent a lot of time travelling with work and lived in Japan for 3 years, so the truck has very low mileage (just went over 25k). All I have had to do is change the oil, and purchase new battery/tires when I got back from Japan. It runs like a champion.

I love how simple it is. I purchased the truck to last forever, and with no power locks or windows, there is much less that can go wrong. It's meant to be a utility vehicle, not a family car.

I wish the 3.0 V-6 had a little more power, but overall it has enough power. I have never fully loaded it down, but I have hauled in the neighborhood of 1k and never had any problems.

Great truck...but
By Chandros101

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have not had a problem with my Edge 4wd. The only complaint I have is the gas mileage. If Im lucky I'll get 13 mpg hiway! If I had known mileage was this bad I would have bought an F150 or F250. Other that that it is a great truck. I have had for 6 years and the only thing I had to put on were brakes and front rotors. It now has 128,000 miles on it.

Power, body design, reliability

Ford needs to be more realistic with its sticker EPA. It wasn't even close

Basic truck
By Michael Kinney

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a basic no frills truck. Have had no real problems except for the rear window. This leaks and I have tried everything and can't seem to get it fixed. Not a race car. Small 4 cyl. does not have the poop to haul or tow much of anything. It is a basic, small utility truck. Mileage is nothing to be proud of. Factory tires stink. On wet roads the back end has lost traction and sent me into all three lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent $400 and got better tires! No more problems. Don't drive these small trucks on snow or ice! You're asking for trouble. They are too light in the rear unless you load something heavy into it..

The truck was cheap.

Cannot really improve on a basic design like this. Put real tires on it.

• SUV