Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great work truck
By ARE

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest, or the strongest out there but a good work truck that is a great value. Easy to work on, and maintain.

Reliability. In 5.5 years and 140,000 only problem outside of regular maintenance. Window motor went out last year, replaced it for about $85

Interior ergonomics

Excellent Choice
By Chris

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Ranger Edge to replace my 1999 Mustang because my wife and I needed the cargo space. I could not be more happy with the choice. I have spent a lot of time travelling with work and lived in Japan for 3 years, so the truck has very low mileage (just went over 25k). All I have had to do is change the oil, and purchase new battery/tires when I got back from Japan. It runs like a champion.

I love how simple it is. I purchased the truck to last forever, and with no power locks or windows, there is much less that can go wrong. It's meant to be a utility vehicle, not a family car.

I wish the 3.0 V-6 had a little more power, but overall it has enough power. I have never fully loaded it down, but I have hauled in the neighborhood of 1k and never had any problems.

Great truck...but
By Chandros101

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have not had a problem with my Edge 4wd. The only complaint I have is the gas mileage. If Im lucky I'll get 13 mpg hiway! If I had known mileage was this bad I would have bought an F150 or F250. Other that that it is a great truck. I have had for 6 years and the only thing I had to put on were brakes and front rotors. It now has 128,000 miles on it.

Power, body design, reliability

Ford needs to be more realistic with its sticker EPA. It wasn't even close

Basic truck
By Michael Kinney

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a basic no frills truck. Have had no real problems except for the rear window. This leaks and I have tried everything and can't seem to get it fixed. Not a race car. Small 4 cyl. does not have the poop to haul or tow much of anything. It is a basic, small utility truck. Mileage is nothing to be proud of. Factory tires stink. On wet roads the back end has lost traction and sent me into all three lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent $400 and got better tires! No more problems. Don't drive these small trucks on snow or ice! You're asking for trouble. They are too light in the rear unless you load something heavy into it..

The truck was cheap.

Cannot really improve on a basic design like this. Put real tires on it.

Awesome little truck
By timri

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My Ranger has been one of, if not the most, reliable vehicles I have ever owned. In the 6 years of ownership, have done nothing but oil changes to date. Handles heavy loads easily. Tows my boat with ease. I have been a Ford fan for many years and between this and my 2002 Lincoln Continental I don't foresee needing to buy anoother new vehicle for many years to come.

Gas mileage( I get 20mpg around town/28 highway), Step Side Bed looks awesome.