2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
First New Car
By Keith on 10/26/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. I drive twisty, hilly roads a lot and I felt the handling in this truck was very sporty. I love precision of the rack and pinion steering. Only had one significant problem; at 60,000 miles electronic 4 wheel drive module would not switch vehicle into 4x4. Gas mileage was not so great (16.5 mpg) but my truck had 4.10 gears in rear.

Bullet Proof
By Wayne Halladay on 09/10/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Ranger; had a '97 with 73,000 miles on the original brakes with 25% left. '02 had an oxygen sensor go at 25,000 covered under warranty. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with cruise set @65+ back doors are still tight at 40,000 miles. Fun truck to drive. Will probably buy another in a few years.

basically a good truck
By red rangerman on 09/02/05 21:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Acceleration is good but highway speed acceleration not so good, rear sliding window leaked and had to be replaced, 6 cd player isn't very good -- cd's get stuck inside and sometimes won't eject, been in shop twice for this and still does it, door ajar light comes on intermittently, is a beautiful color of red -- basically a good truck.

Great value, no frills truck
By bRIAN on 08/02/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in 2002 for a short distance commuter vehicle. I was looking for an inexpensive truck and the Ranger Edge fit the bill nicely. The truck has had no problems so far, is comfortable, reasonably powerful, and performs light duty hauling nicely. The interior is functional and makes no attempt toward luxury. It's a truck through and through. The A/C and heater perform very well, the transmission shifts smoothly, and the hydraulic clutch is like butter. The brakes are also very good, never showing signs of fading or warping rotors like many others do. After I replaced the stock tires with Michelins, the ride improved greatly as well. Overall, I am extremely pleased.

FX4 Ford's worst truck built
By hwbw on 05/20/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since 2002 I have put in two master cylinders for the clutch. had the engine blow at 38,000 miles and got no help from Ford at 2,000 miles past warranty. Had poor performance and reliability. Replaced clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder at 43,000 miles due to the slave cylinder welding itself to spline. Also, I have had many problems with the electrical system. You are probably thinking that I beat on this truck and the answer is not at all. I drive less than 2 miles to work and 97% of drive time is on highways on trips around 500 miles. Unless you know how to work on cars plan on a lot of money in maintenance.Think about another brand!

2002 Ranger 4x2 Supercab 3.0
By Mongo on 04/07/05 15:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this with 3,000 miles on it, now has 41,000 miles. Except oil and filter changes I've had to do no repairs. Bought a Ford Extended warranty - may have wasted $800.00 on it. Has a manual transmission which shifts effortlessly. Only thing I wish I had was a tilt steering wheel as I'm 6'4" and sometimes my knee knocks the turn signal on.

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C on 03/29/05 09:07 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C on 03/29/05 09:07 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford Trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

best small pickup I've ever owned
By stoshu on 03/26/05 17:53 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the truck new. No options except CD player and a/c. I had a few problems with the engine skipping/sputtering a bit, all under warranty, and they fixed everything! The tray under the radio rattles, but that's about my only complaint. Gets great gas mileage , I got the 4 banger, and the radio is great. Handles very well for a small pickup, I've put 60,000 miles on it and the original tires still look ok. The last new pick up i bought was a '92 Chevy S-10 Tahoe loaded with a 2.8 v-6. I drove the wheels off it for 8 years and the only thing that didn't break or rattle was the engine. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford is the way to go, I'll give this 1/2 ton to my son & buy another.

Love this truck
By love this truck on 03/17/05 14:48 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 2 Rangers. Over 8 years have had 1 problem with the O2 sensors that cost about $200 dollars and have been places that 4 wheel drive had problems going. This is a good truck.