Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I love this truck
By rednecker1

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I haven't had many problems with this truck. It off roads great, it tows a lot and it looks great. I have a friend with a Tacoma and it has nothing compared to my truck. The difference is a go cart and a real truck. I have 31" tires and a 2' lift and abuse my truck like you wouldn't believe. But it takes it and wants more. I would strongly recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

I love the 4wd and the ride is absolutely smooth. The mileage stinks but if you want an all around great working truck, this is it.

Suggested Improvements

Bring up the mpg. I get around 15 mpg in the city and about 22 on the highway. Other than those two things, I can't think of any bad things about this truck.

Nice Starter Truck
By Jbushnel515

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck completly stock with a 3.0L V6 2 wheel drive with 56,000 miles on it. I then turned around put an American Thunder series flowmaster exhuast system on it with a K&N air filter on it. Later on I put a 3 inch lift kit keeping the same rims but putting 31 inch BFG Mud-terrians on it and the stance is really nice. Before all the add ons were put on it, I got great gas mileage on the truck but afterwards, the gas mileage stinks. But other than that, light towing and going around town isn't bad. But if you are looking for strong performance in a small truck, look elseware.

Favorite Features

The sound system in the truck. For being stock, it sounds awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The interior, offer more options for luxury like leather seats and a moonroof, and possibly a crew cab would be nice on a ranger. People are looking for good truck with decent gas mileage but are also still needing room for families.

Feel the power...
By Buzz

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the truck for almost one year now and I love it. It has all kinds of power with the 4.0, but will suck the tank dry very quickly if you don't take it easy. It is capable of 20mpg on the highway, but I find myself unable to drive slow enough to achieve that very often. The only other complaint I have is the 6CD changer. It likes to jam up after it gets good and hot on long trips. The truck is pretty easy to work on, so I have no complaints. I only wish I had bought a 5-speed and not an automatic trans.

Favorite Features

4.0 V6 power, 4x4, supercab.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission bangs into gear real hard sometimes. I'm sure the first major failure will come from the transmission, and the only good automatic tranny Ford ever built was the C-6. The E4OD was ok too, and Ford needs to build all of their auto trannys to the same quality as those two.

Great Truck!
By Jack

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for 5 years and have had no problems. Runs great. The mileage could be better, but isn't bad considering the 4.0l motor.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, 4.0l motor, overall looks.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Lots of trouble
By dckat

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

City mpg is single digits. At only 56K, had to replace right front wheel bearing (cost double since hub assembly had to come off). Air bag sensor has a mind of its own; light is never accurate. Factory recall on cruise control cable. Steering column locks up sometimes until key is jiggled. After running for many hours (on long trips), the six-CD changer wouldn't eject; the new one (replaced under warranty) does the same. Bought new front tires, and gone through two sets of brakes (soon to be three). It sounds like a valve is tapping in the engine, and engine power is less than when new. Water pools inside front door after heavy rain. Driver's window motor seizes up.

Favorite Features

We love the stepside body and the reverse opening rear doors. Also the 4WD, and the step bar, and the ability to turn off high gear (it's an automatic). We appreciate the cruise control, the fog lights, and the extra power outlet.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better: windshield wipers, defogging capabilities, CD changer, fuel efficiency, electrical system quality. It could use tougher upholstery, a vanity mirror, and map lights (like the '99). Glove box is awkwardly shaped, roll edge on seats is too thick. Odd engineering makes repairs expensive.