2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Another good Ford
By Bill Meana on 08/07/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Ford Ranger. I upgraded with the options each time. The current vehicle i am driving has the 4 liter engine with the towing package and it handles my 2000 lb boat very well. I will definitely buy another Ford.

Horribly disappointing.
By Moose on 06/27/06 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Ranger in hopes of getting a reliable truck that had decent fuel economy. What I got was a hulk of junk. I literally had problems from the second day I owned the truck. Over the 19 months I owned the truck, Ford replaced 2 thermostats, the radiator, the transmission, the radio, the gauge cluster, the back glass, and numerous third brake light seals. The truck left me stranded, without warning, 4 times - including last Thanksgiving Day. Fuel economy is not what they tell you, either. I drove 100 miles to work round trip every day doing 70 mph on the interstate, and the best gas mileage I ever got was 24 mpg - and it's a 4 cylinder! I have since bought a Toyota, and couldn't be happier.

2002 Ford Ranger
By 2002 Ford Ranger on 05/22/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Ranger since August 2002, and overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don't know why so many of the automobile trade magazines and even you Edmunds put down the Ford Ranger as being obsolete! I compared the Ford Ranger against the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevrolet S-10 at the time and I choose the Ford Ranger. My Ford Ranger has been reliable 100% of the time. It is easy to do the routine preventative maintenance. The price was right. I get better gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) than what the sticker showed for estimated expected MPG. If I were to buy another truck, I would definitely buy a Ford again.

Best Lil' Truck 4 Me
By This1wrkd on 04/11/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 4WD Edge new in 2002. It's going strong in 2006. I've been all across the country, and commute from Houston to Crockett 3 times per month. You may think it's a chick truck, but 4 wheeling is terrific, and it carries everything an artist/remodeler needs (for a chick). I've owned a lot of vehicles, this one is just plain fun!

Awesome Truck!
By Eric on 03/31/06 17:51 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck about a year ago and I love it. It has the 4.0 liter sohc V6 engine which has plenty of power and is very reliable (except the alternator goes a little wacky sometimes - the plug going to the voltage regulator goes bad sometimes). But I still wish Ford would make the 4.6 liter v8 available for the Ranger.

American vehicle that's fine by me
By john/sun on 03/23/06 05:27 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having an 84 Ranger and getting over 200,000 miles on it, I went back for more. Mileage could be better; getting 18-19 average. Not a SINGLE problem with this truck.

my Ford Range
By jim on 02/05/06 11:54 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Tremor 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like the ride. Fuel economy could be better. Do drive country roads with lots of hills and stop and go from work. But overall I love the yellow color and flames.

good truck
By Gary on 01/07/06 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Base model with manual transmission & no extras, which makes me very happy now with the price of gas. My fourth small pickup, and the best by far for comfort, fuel economy and handling. Have not missed the 4 wheel drive at all.

Very Good Truck
By Leroy on 12/31/05 10:37 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for a year now. It has been very dependable and I have not had to have any major repairs done. My truck is a swb regular cab, 2WD, but has a V-6 with a 5-speed manual transmission. One of the best trucks I have ever owned. Good gas mileage. Very comfortable interior, but a little cramped. Fun to drive.

Watch Out For Later
By Matthew... on 12/21/05 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger. I bought it, I have loved it, I have taken care of it, and had fun with it. Now I have 65,000 miles on it and problems are getting bigger and more expensive. To start at 30,000 front windows not lining up and had tracks replaced by dealer (still having same problem), next at 40,000 miles, dash light goes out. $2.00 bulb + some absurd amount to install (still not fixed), next driver's side unlock button works when it wants (who knows), now O/D Off light flashes, told transmission needs rebuilt and it wants to skip gears, $1500.00 and this appears to be a known issue. I am now looking at a Nissan and Toyota.