2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews 4

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2002 Ford Ranger
By 2002 Ford Ranger on 05/22/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Ranger since August 2002, and overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don't know why so many of the automobile trade magazines and even you Edmunds put down the Ford Ranger as being obsolete! I compared the Ford Ranger against the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevrolet S-10 at the time and I choose the Ford Ranger. My Ford Ranger has been reliable 100% of the time. It is easy to do the routine preventative maintenance. The price was right. I get better gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) than what the sticker showed for estimated expected MPG. If I were to buy another truck, I would definitely buy a Ford again.

Best Lil' Truck 4 Me
By This1wrkd on 04/11/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 4WD Edge new in 2002. It's going strong in 2006. I've been all across the country, and commute from Houston to Crockett 3 times per month. You may think it's a chick truck, but 4 wheeling is terrific, and it carries everything an artist/remodeler needs (for a chick). I've owned a lot of vehicles, this one is just plain fun!

Awesome Truck!
By Eric on 03/31/06 17:51 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck about a year ago and I love it. It has the 4.0 liter sohc V6 engine which has plenty of power and is very reliable (except the alternator goes a little wacky sometimes - the plug going to the voltage regulator goes bad sometimes). But I still wish Ford would make the 4.6 liter v8 available for the Ranger.

American vehicle that's fine by me
By john/sun on 03/23/06 05:27 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having an 84 Ranger and getting over 200,000 miles on it, I went back for more. Mileage could be better; getting 18-19 average. Not a SINGLE problem with this truck.

my Ford Range
By jim on 02/05/06 11:54 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Tremor 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like the ride. Fuel economy could be better. Do drive country roads with lots of hills and stop and go from work. But overall I love the yellow color and flames.

good truck
By Gary on 01/07/06 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Base model with manual transmission & no extras, which makes me very happy now with the price of gas. My fourth small pickup, and the best by far for comfort, fuel economy and handling. Have not missed the 4 wheel drive at all.

Watch Out For Later
By Matthew... on 12/21/05 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger. I bought it, I have loved it, I have taken care of it, and had fun with it. Now I have 65,000 miles on it and problems are getting bigger and more expensive. To start at 30,000 front windows not lining up and had tracks replaced by dealer (still having same problem), next at 40,000 miles, dash light goes out. $2.00 bulb + some absurd amount to install (still not fixed), next driver's side unlock button works when it wants (who knows), now O/D Off light flashes, told transmission needs rebuilt and it wants to skip gears, $1500.00 and this appears to be a known issue. I am now looking at a Nissan and Toyota.

First New Car
By Keith on 10/26/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. I drive twisty, hilly roads a lot and I felt the handling in this truck was very sporty. I love precision of the rack and pinion steering. Only had one significant problem; at 60,000 miles electronic 4 wheel drive module would not switch vehicle into 4x4. Gas mileage was not so great (16.5 mpg) but my truck had 4.10 gears in rear.

Bullet Proof
By Wayne Halladay on 09/10/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Ranger; had a '97 with 73,000 miles on the original brakes with 25% left. '02 had an oxygen sensor go at 25,000 covered under warranty. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with cruise set @65+ back doors are still tight at 40,000 miles. Fun truck to drive. Will probably buy another in a few years.

Great value, no frills truck
By bRIAN on 08/02/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in 2002 for a short distance commuter vehicle. I was looking for an inexpensive truck and the Ranger Edge fit the bill nicely. The truck has had no problems so far, is comfortable, reasonably powerful, and performs light duty hauling nicely. The interior is functional and makes no attempt toward luxury. It's a truck through and through. The A/C and heater perform very well, the transmission shifts smoothly, and the hydraulic clutch is like butter. The brakes are also very good, never showing signs of fading or warping rotors like many others do. After I replaced the stock tires with Michelins, the ride improved greatly as well. Overall, I am extremely pleased.