Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Feel the power...
By Buzz

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the truck for almost one year now and I love it. It has all kinds of power with the 4.0, but will suck the tank dry very quickly if you don't take it easy. It is capable of 20mpg on the highway, but I find myself unable to drive slow enough to achieve that very often. The only other complaint I have is the 6CD changer. It likes to jam up after it gets good and hot on long trips. The truck is pretty easy to work on, so I have no complaints. I only wish I had bought a 5-speed and not an automatic trans.

4.0 V6 power, 4x4, supercab.

Transmission bangs into gear real hard sometimes. I'm sure the first major failure will come from the transmission, and the only good automatic tranny Ford ever built was the C-6. The E4OD was ok too, and Ford needs to build all of their auto trannys to the same quality as those two.

Great Truck!
By Jack

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for 5 years and have had no problems. Runs great. The mileage could be better, but isn't bad considering the 4.0l motor.

4 wheel drive, 4.0l motor, overall looks.

None.

Lots of trouble
By dckat

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

City mpg is single digits. At only 56K, had to replace right front wheel bearing (cost double since hub assembly had to come off). Air bag sensor has a mind of its own; light is never accurate. Factory recall on cruise control cable. Steering column locks up sometimes until key is jiggled. After running for many hours (on long trips), the six-CD changer wouldn't eject; the new one (replaced under warranty) does the same. Bought new front tires, and gone through two sets of brakes (soon to be three). It sounds like a valve is tapping in the engine, and engine power is less than when new. Water pools inside front door after heavy rain. Driver's window motor seizes up.

We love the stepside body and the reverse opening rear doors. Also the 4WD, and the step bar, and the ability to turn off high gear (it's an automatic). We appreciate the cruise control, the fog lights, and the extra power outlet.

Needs better: windshield wipers, defogging capabilities, CD changer, fuel efficiency, electrical system quality. It could use tougher upholstery, a vanity mirror, and map lights (like the '99). Glove box is awkwardly shaped, roll edge on seats is too thick. Odd engineering makes repairs expensive.

Great work truck
By ARE

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest, or the strongest out there but a good work truck that is a great value. Easy to work on, and maintain.

Reliability. In 5.5 years and 140,000 only problem outside of regular maintenance. Window motor went out last year, replaced it for about $85

Interior ergonomics

Great truck...but
By Chandros101

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have not had a problem with my Edge 4wd. The only complaint I have is the gas mileage. If Im lucky I'll get 13 mpg hiway! If I had known mileage was this bad I would have bought an F150 or F250. Other that that it is a great truck. I have had for 6 years and the only thing I had to put on were brakes and front rotors. It now has 128,000 miles on it.

Power, body design, reliability

Ford needs to be more realistic with its sticker EPA. It wasn't even close

• SUV