2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Nice truck, Terrible Fuel Economy
By maxlessca on 12/24/07 13:56 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've been looking around for my first vehicle for the last 2 years. I really wanted a car, which could tow a 2000lb trailer. I eventually gave up the struggle and bought a Ranger. It was the 4.0L with every option except 4wd. All my friends/ family love it. I was so happy with my purchase... until I started filling it up. It has terrible fuel economy. I'm very light footed and I average 11mpg city and 18mpg highway with cruise on 60mph. (Worst fill-up so far was 9.5mpg) Also, the 6-disc CD changer went on me the first time I put a CD in it. It jammed up on me. I love the towing capabilities and the features (air, cruise, power everything, strong engine), but the fuel economy is terrible.

Great!
By flumsteve on 08/19/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I work in a sand mine where I have to constantly go into sand and mud. It handles very well in even the most loose of sand and if 2wd won't do it, than the 4wd will! Great truck all around.

Good, reliable truck
By 2002 Ranger Owner on 08/13/07 20:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Ford Ranger SuperCab (4- cylinder with a manual transmission) new in 2002. It has been 100% reliable with no problems ever. I am extremely pleased with its reliability, quality of Ford workmanship, and most of all the gas mileage performance. Before I purchased my Ranger, I test drove the Chevy S-10, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma. I decided on the Ford Ranger because of its price and the cab size seemed to me to be larger than the other trucks. It is a great truck, fun to drive, and it has been 100% reliable. Preventative maintenance is easy.

Ford Ranger
By Lyle on 07/15/07 13:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very relaxing vehicle to drive. Payload is more than expected. Has plenty of power and good fuel mileage. A friend of mine drove it half way across the country and she has 3 herniated discs in her back and she did fine.If I was going to buy another pickup ,this is what I would purchase.

Gets you where you're going
By tvrug on 06/17/07 04:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ranger I've owned. The first was a '98 4.0 5-speed. After 175,000 miles of being reliable I bought another. The only complaint so far is that the brakes would fade when stopping quickly, especially with a load. Replaced stock brakes with EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff 7000 series pads. Stops like a sports car now. Will go through a lot when off road thanks to the limited slip rear differential. Great that the front axle is turning all the time. This eliminates the worry of tearing up a hub when on the trail.

It's a great truck
By Ray on 04/11/07 15:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in '02. I now have 140,000 miles on it. It still looks and drives like new. I have only had to do routine maintenance. It was in the shop 1 time for a sensor that went out of range and that was covered by the warranty. All I have had to do is keep the oil changed, brakes, and tires. It's the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

Not to Shabby.
By CPW on 12/27/06 22:48 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first truck, reviews from friends and family helped decide to purchase a Ford. Plenty of power down low, sometime you have to really get on it to get up to speed on the highway. <11mpg in town and 18mpg highway>. It's practical for the region I live in. 4wd. The Goodyears aren't too bad but I haven't really heard anything good about them. The windows fog up really fast and that disturbs me. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first truck, hope to have it for many years.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks on 10/10/06 18:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Good 'lil truck
By CJ on 08/16/06 09:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My ex-wife bought the Ranger in Dec of '02, and decided she didn't like it. I got it in the divorce, and I loved it! With the 4.10 rear axle it pulled like a full size pickup, and with its lighter weight it was quick off the line empty. The only downside was that the 4.10 rear end made it suck fuel like a full size pickup. It took me through mud, snow drifts, and I could pass going uphill with a trailer attached. I'm 6'4" and there is enough leg room for me to be comfortable.

Growing out of my truck
By M. Thoma on 08/09/06 04:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family is growing so unfortunately my truck has to as well. I have said many times that if I did not HAVE to get a new truck I would keep this until it falls apart. And at the rate things are going that could be a long time. I will go through 3 feet of snow while every other full size SUV is spinning their wheels. I have taken it through ditches, over curbs, across the country twice (both times fully loaded) with no problems. It is a truck and the best I have ever driven. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious, no frills, no luxury vehicle that will get the job done every time. P.S. I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine.