Used 2002 Ford Ranger XL Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Basic truck
By Michael Kinney

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a basic no frills truck. Have had no real problems except for the rear window. This leaks and I have tried everything and can't seem to get it fixed. Not a race car. Small 4 cyl. does not have the poop to haul or tow much of anything. It is a basic, small utility truck. Mileage is nothing to be proud of. Factory tires stink. On wet roads the back end has lost traction and sent me into all three lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent $400 and got better tires! No more problems. Don't drive these small trucks on snow or ice! You're asking for trouble. They are too light in the rear unless you load something heavy into it..

The truck was cheap.

Cannot really improve on a basic design like this. Put real tires on it.

Horribly disappointing.
By Moose

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Ranger in hopes of getting a reliable truck that had decent fuel economy. What I got was a hulk of junk. I literally had problems from the second day I owned the truck. Over the 19 months I owned the truck, Ford replaced 2 thermostats, the radiator, the transmission, the radio, the gauge cluster, the back glass, and numerous third brake light seals. The truck left me stranded, without warning, 4 times - including last Thanksgiving Day. Fuel economy is not what they tell you, either. I drove 100 miles to work round trip every day doing 70 mph on the interstate, and the best gas mileage I ever got was 24 mpg - and it's a 4 cylinder! I have since bought a Toyota, and couldn't be happier.

Ask Toyota how to build a good truck.

best small pickup I've ever owned
By stoshu

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the truck new. No options except CD player and a/c. I had a few problems with the engine skipping/sputtering a bit, all under warranty, and they fixed everything! The tray under the radio rattles, but that's about my only complaint. Gets great gas mileage , I got the 4 banger, and the radio is great. Handles very well for a small pickup, I've put 60,000 miles on it and the original tires still look ok. The last new pick up i bought was a '92 Chevy S-10 Tahoe loaded with a 2.8 v-6. I drove the wheels off it for 8 years and the only thing that didn't break or rattle was the engine. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford is the way to go, I'll give this 1/2 ton to my son & buy another.

Great gas mileage! Engine runs like a Swiss watch, tranny shifts great (manual) and not many rattles on interior. The a/c will make you freeze and the heat will burn you up. These are good things. :)

Less rattles on interior of truck. One rattle is too many!

Great Buy
By Awsome Truck

I got this truck used for $7400
because of some hail damage. It had
only 27,000 miles. The first day I had
it it leaked oil. Off it went to the
ford dealer cause it still had
warranty. After that I have had no
problems. I have the 2.3L I4 with the
automatic. It is not fast but it
handles awesome and the brakes are
great. This is my first vehicle.

Everything.

V8???

another ford success
By douglasH

overall great truck. Mechanically, no
problems. Twice in shop for window
leak. However, ford fixed immediately
at no charge. Truck has handled rugged
extremes i have subjected it to.
Looks wonderful with bigger off-road
tires. Gas milege is excellent.

price, gas milege, you feel in total control of vehicle with manual transmission, rubber flooring option (easy for cleaning and stronger than carpet)

different wheels(they're ugly and embarassing), less sharp edges(i've cut myself on body edge in engine compartment and also while washing the body), steering tilt standard